Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chantell10 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2005, 03:37 PM
    Pitt mix poops in crate everyday
    :rolleyes: So, I have a 3 1/2 month old pitt bull mix puppy, Maddox. I have had him since he was 8 weeks, so about a month and a half. I got him from the local animal shelter. He has had a crate since the first day, but for about the first week, he slept in my bed with me. I realized that for potty training sake, he should be sleeping in the crate. Whether in my bed or in his crate he NEVER poops at night and he can go about 7 hours. I caught him peeing only once when I ignored his whines for too long. At one point, he had two separate areas for pooping and sleeping, with a low divider so he can get over, and puppy pads. He would run all through the poop, get it all over the place, and then tear his puppy pad to shreds. I leave him in there with toys. I even have this one toy that is his favorite (it is a VERY loud squeaky toy) that I will only give him when I leave (so that I don't have to listen to it and he has fun with it). However, every time I leave him in the crate he poops in it. Though he sometimes has to be in there for 5-6 hours, that is rare and he poops in it no matter what the duration of his confinement. He will poop right before he gets in his crate, I will leave for 2 hours, and he will have pooped in it by the time I return. He does seem to like the crate however. He will go in there without having to be carried when he is tired and even when he knows that I am leaving (and trust me, he has figured that out). I have changed its size, cleaned it, moved it, and put all new stuff in it. The vet recommended that I begin to feed him in there, and that has also proved fruitless. Yesterday, I cleaned poop off his dish. A friend of mine told me to leave an article of my clothing in there so he can smell me. I did, even though his crate is in my bedroom and he peed on my shirt!
    He goes to the door and scratches when out in the rest of the house, but as soon as I leave, he poops in the crate. I know that he is very attached to me, and this has been another problem. He refuses to poop in front of anyone else when taken outside. I am single, so I am his main source of companionship. He has only pooped outside for my roommate once, though she has stopped letting him out altogether I think and just waits for me to get home. I feel as though I have read everything, taken all advice, and found no solution. If anyone knows of anything that I can do other than be patient, please let me know. I can be patient if I think that he will eventually grow out of it, but only if I think that there is a light at the end of this long poopy tunnel.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2005, 04:45 PM
    Exactly what goes on in those furry little heads is hard to say. If you do a Search here, you will find several old threads about bowel movements in a crate. Could you be convinced he is doing it deliberately to protest being crated? If so, it certainly is effective isn't it? Many ''experts'' say no way.

I think the first step is to eliminate the bedding. You might try wood shavings instead. If you do, let me know how it works. Racks do well with small puppies and urine, but often stools stay on top.

Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. As top dog, you have the right to crate him. It is his place to wait quietly for your return. At his age, keep sessions short, a few minutes for several repetitions. Steal a few minutes several times a day, and in a month people will be marveling what a good little puppy. It is easier to convince the public that the puppy quietly setting at your heel isn't a threat than one that is bouncing at the end of a leash. The public holds some breeds to a higher standard, logical or not.

Watch the squeaky toy. Even now he could easily tear it apart.
    The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into
    Pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive
    Chewers such as Labs. What is safe greatly depends on the individual dog. Another way top keep him busy in the crate is a Kong filled with peanut butter. Depending on how food motivated he is, he may stay busy licking it out for hours. Extend the time by freezing it.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    Them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    Carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Along with these steps, he should decide a clean crate is nicer. Try not to let it upset you. Just quietly clean him and the crate up. It is hard to hide your emotions from a dog. Just focus on the good times with him. The more upset you are, the better it worked.
    clukkes Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Oct 11, 2005, 04:46 PM
    HI,
    I have a pitbull mix myself. Huey! Granite I only had him in my arms for about 3 years. He is my husbands dog which he has had him for about 7 1/2 years now. I would be patient and teach him that pooping in the crate is not acceptable... You have to teach him that... he only does it because you are leaving him. My dog poops on the floor when I go to work because he is mad I am leaving him. Since your dog is still a puppy it is a learning game for him. Just keep telling him that you don't poop in your crate.

What is your pitbull mixed with?

Oct 11, 2005, 05:24 PM
    Thanks for advice
    Labman, I have read all of the other posts on pooping in crates, which has helped in at least that I know that I am not alone. My sister and husband have a 1yr old purebred chocolate lab from a breeder and she tried to convince me that he was 'unnaturally' pooping in his crate because he was a pound puppy. I have also read a lot of your replies, which has been helpful (especially because I did not know about the rawhide thing). I have a puppy kong thing somewhere (who knows where that Maddox has hidden it). I will definitely put some pbutter in it. You said to freeze it in one post too, didn't you?
    I think that he might be doing this in protest of being crated. Either that or he simply cannot comprehend 'holding it' yet. I am not sure that it is the latter because he will hold it in the car for hours because he loves to be in the car with me. (Then again, I can also watch for clues when he is in the car). After a few days, such as today, when I have more time to spend with him, he does better. I learned very quickly that spanking him is not the answer, as a small tap caused him to refuse to poop in front of me outside for 2 days.
    I have definitely become very aware of the bias against pitt bulls in our society since I got him, so I am very sensitive to any aggressive behavior and try to correct it immediately.
    Clukkes, Maddox was an owner surrender from a lab mix mom. (But shelters tend to label a lot of things 'lab-mixes' I know).

Thank you both so much for your replies. I will keep practicing my patience.

Oct 11, 2005, 05:28 PM
    Mine also is mixed with lab...

Very good with kids...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2005, 06:50 PM
    Yeah, freezing the Kong is a common technique.

One other thing I forgot. Thanks to both of you for adopting mixes. I have visited our local shelter looking for dogs to rescue for the dog guide school. It tears me up knowing so many of the nice dogs will be killed for lack of caring people.

Oct 11, 2005, 06:58 PM
    I will always adopt from shelters!!

Oct 12, 2005, 03:55 AM
    Ditto. He is a fantastic puppy (except for the pooping of course :rolleyes: )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Boston Terrier Poops in house [ 2 Answers ]

7 month, male, Boston goes outdoors and poops heavily three times a day but will still find a way to poop in the house. Different sites on the NET talk about a special training method for Boston Terriers that is guarunteed to stop your dog from craping in the house for $49.95. I'm at my witts end...

Crate trainning a dog [ 1 Answers ]

My wife just got a 8 week old great dane and we got a crate yesterday for him. He seems to not mind being in there.At first when we put him in there he might whine just a tad but when we tell him to stop he does and goes to sleep We have read about crate trainning a little bit.This book did not...

Comp freezes... everyday [ 7 Answers ]

ever since my monitor issue (no signal) went away... my comp has been freezing everyday since... it doesn't freeze just once a day... it freezes at least 2 times a day... this happens at random also... it froze today for maybe the 3rd time but this time my computer made a continuous beeeeeeeeeep so...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old mini dachsund and crate training her. I have reduced the size of the crate to hopefully stop her from eliminating in her crate. When I crate her with her toys, etc. and I went upstairs. She crys and howls when I leave and hhen I came back down 10 minutes later she pooped in...

?A Birthday Party Everyday? (Unknown Book Title) [ 1 Answers ]

There was a children's book I read in the mid-eighties; its title I cannot recall. The main character is a dog who lives alone on a hill. On his birthday, he invites all of his friends to a party at which they all eat peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches (important detail ;) ). He enjoys...

View more questions Search