Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Canning peppers
    My husband is canning medium hot peppers in a vinegar, water, sugar ,salt, and alum

Solution . He adds dill , when he added the garlic cloves they turned BLUE within 30min.

WHAT is going on here and are they safe to eat ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 03:36 PM
    According to my canning cookbook, nothing is wrong if garlic turns blue. This is the explanation of why that happens:

The discoloration is due to pigments that form between sulfur compounds in garlic and amino acids. When the garlic tissue is disrupted, as happens in processing, an enzyme is liberated and reacts with it to form thiosulfinates compounds that then react with the natural amino acids in the garlic to form blue pigments. The age of garlic determines how much isoalliin there is in the first place, and the nature of the processing determines how much enzyme is liberated.

Just enjoy the fruits of your labor !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canning Hot Cherry Peppers [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking for a good recipe liquid to can my cherry peppers from my garden. I have seen a few water vinegar mixtures. MY question is, I do enjoy the hot cherry peppers that Pastene sells. Is it possible to use the liquid in those store bought jars with my peppers, and can it that way?...

Posionous peppers [ 2 Answers ]

Are the seeds from red green yellow peppers etc really posionous?:confused:

Chilie peppers [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get serrano peppers to turn red off the vine? Most of the chillie peppers we buy in the stores are green. Green colored peppers are hot but the red peppers are hotter and they Have the most flavor. Is there a trick to getting serrano peppers to turn Red before they shrivel up?

Sausage & peppers [ 1 Answers ]

Need a good recipe for sausage, peppers, and onions without red sauce, hope someone can help me out. Thank you

View more questions Search