How to Make Jam!

Asked May 5, 2009, 07:06 PM 16 Answers
    Jams are easier to do than you may think. The very best fruit to use is wild. I use wild strawberry, blueberry and raspberry. You can actually use just about any fruit, and even peppers making like a hot chutney. The biggest trick of all is making sure all your tools are clean and sterilized. I use mason jars, that have 2 piece lids. You cannot use plastic jars.

Taking the fresh fruit making sure they are clean, and often it is preferred not to wash small berries. If you know there is sand or anything else, I do rinse them in cold water. If your berries or fruit is not wild, do wash as it removes some pesticides.

I use pectin in my jam, there are various kinds available. The pectin is what jels and helps to preserve. You can get regular crystals, less sugar, and liquid. Each kind has a ratio of fruit to sugar, and sometimes lemon juice if the fruit is too sweet.

Begin to cook fruit on medium heat, with sugar, holding back 1 cup of sugar to add with your pectin. When the fruit mixture comes to a boil, add pectin sugar, and allow it to boil for 1 minute. Skim off the top to remove foam, or add a teaspoon of butter, that will defoam it.

Pour carefully in jars, preferable small ones, and lid. Within a few hours you should hear them all pop, meaning they are sealed.
    Once you've had wild homemade berry jam, you'll never want another store bought.

Last edited by Clough; May 6, 2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Improved the content of the post.
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 25,714, Reputation: 5616
    Pets Expert

#2

May 5, 2009, 07:14 PM

I am going to the store next week and buy some fruit. I'll give this a try. I've always wanted to make homemade jam but my mom died before she could teach me.

If you all don't hear from me 2 weeks from now you know I did something wrong.
    luciz's Avatar
    luciz Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

#3

May 5, 2009, 07:27 PM

Let me know what kind of pectin you buy and which fruit, and I'd be happy to help you along. It's so easy, you'll see. Just be very careful with the boiling fruit, sugar is hotter at boiling than water.
    Blessings
    Clough's Avatar
    Clough Posts: 26,681, Reputation: 1647

#4

May 6, 2009, 12:58 AM

Hi, Luciz!

I've edited some and moved your post about this out of Introductions to this forum topic area so that it will be more likely to receive the best responses to it.

Introductions is where people post introductions for themselves only, and we try not to post questions or other pertinent information there.

Thanks!
    luciz's Avatar
    luciz Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

#5

May 6, 2009, 06:18 AM

Thank you Clough
    Just Dahlia's Avatar
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,156, Reputation: 445

#6

May 6, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Did you forget a step?
    I always put the fruit filled jars in a boiling water bath for a certain amount of minutes, depending on the fruit. I hope I haven't been wasting my time as I've been making jam several times a year for years.
    luciz's Avatar
    luciz Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

#7

May 8, 2009, 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Did you forget a step?
    No I do not. If you use pectin, sterilized jars, fill hot, and use a mason type lid that seals, you do not need to water bath. If I make just fruit jars, not jam, with a simple syrup, yes I water bath. If at any time you have doubt that the jar may not have sealed, you didn't hear that pop, then yes again, water bath. But if you water bath a jam, the sugar may get overcooked and you'll have sugar crystals.
    Blessings,
    Luciz
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054

#8

May 8, 2009, 06:06 PM

I'll never forget back in the late 60's when I lived in NYC and took a road trip to Maine and picked my own blueberries. Came back to my apt in NYC and made blueberry jam and blueberry preserves. I made enough to use up 4 cases of little Mason jars. Gave them out as gifts at Xmas and found they were an instant hit with my friends. I've never tasted such scrumptious preserves since like the ones I made. And I used just about the same receipe you mentioned above.
    luciz's Avatar
    luciz Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

#9

May 8, 2009, 09:04 PM

I'm a little bit spoiled, we have wild blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, elderberries, raisin, chokecherries or pin cherries, saskatoon berries, cranberries, highbush cranberries and juniper berries. Our northern forests may be cold, however they are blessed with nature. That being holding onto the tiny part that hasn't been colored in concrete.
    I also make jams for Yule, and have some favorites who year after year look my way for their coveted jam.
    Blessings
    Pokerface5's Avatar
    Pokerface5 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

#10

May 8, 2009, 09:09 PM

Peach Jam is REALLY good.

You need 5 peaches
    WHite and Brown sugar
    Maple syrup
    Boiling hot water
    And cinimmon (optional)

Cut peaches into tiny cubes and boil in HOT water for twenty to thiry minutes, or until soft.

Put in bowl and smash until it looks like pulp.

Mix sugars into a bowl and drain some of the hot water used to boil peaches into the sugar. Mix untl thick and creamy.

Add cinimmon to smashed peaches and stir.

Combine ingrediants and place in jar. Put in refrigerator for 2hrs.

You will have smooth peach jam

Add to toast with warm butter Hmmmhmmmhmmm

What move should I make? Or should I even make one? [ 9 Answers ]

I am a high school student. I play on our girl's varsity basketball team, and I have a bit of an interest/crush on a guy from the guy's team. Our practice and game times are normally in tandem. I see him there and occaisonally in school. Recently, I admitted my interest to a friend, and she said,...

How to make him see [ 5 Answers ]

I was recently reunited with a friend I have known for almost 17 years and he knows that I have liked him for a really long time now. He had broken up with his girlfriend a few months ago and he has began saying things that got me thinking that he would go out with me sometime in the future for...

Make up. [ 1 Answers ]

What foundation make up can I wear because I've got dry skin. Many thanks. {moved from Forum Help-<>}

Make up [ 13 Answers ]

Hi Could anyone tell mew were I could buy glittery eye shadow like this http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/limecrime/orientalglitter.jpg I've looked in beauty shops and can't find any.. what websites could I find this and buy from?