Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bevanz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Patio Expansion Joints
    I am installing a patio in my back yard and want to know how I put the expansion joints on existing contrete. Do I need to glue them on, or buy something else, or what?

Thanks.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jun 7, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Expansion joints are normally only needed between two concrete slabs or at an edge of a slab where it's going to be against another structure, like a block wall or the house and won't be able to expand without buckling. You can buy the expansion material at just about any hardware store. It's usually a felt-like material or celotex. Just set it along the edge where you want it and pour the new concrete right up to it.
    jsnbrd Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Jul 8, 2007, 12:44 PM
    If the material you are installing the patio against is the houses' concrete slab or stem-wall. I'd suggest using felt paper as a bond breaker. If it is Brick I'd suggest using a 1/4" expansion Joint to you can caulk seal the two materials together. Install some No' 4 size dowels or bigger. I'd say every 16" apart, at least two inches below the surface to ensure the reinforcing doesn't expand due to freezing. You can use the dowels to hold the bond breaker. Remember when pouring concrete that a nice firm subsoil compacted and clean of organic material will ensure the life of your patio. Try to water cure the slab after your done pouring. Mist the surface of the slab on and off for about 7 days when you notice the Finished surface hardening. Then cure the concrete with thompsons water seal or another product similar in nature.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 8, 2007, 03:32 PM
    You Can Use 3/4 Pressure Treated 1x4 Or They Make A Fiber Board To Do This Also. Ive Never Nailed Either Of Them, The Slabs Put Enough Pressure On It To Keep It In Place

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ball joints [ 3 Answers ]

What would an estimated cost of replacing lower ball joints on my 1998 Ford F150? I called a fairly reliable repair shop this morning and they gave me an estimate of approximately $365. This would include labor and the alignment. I looked at NAPA online and found the lower ball joints at a...

Leaking drain joints [ 13 Answers ]

I have installed a new kitchen sink, but the slip joints (brass) of the drain pipe leak, even though they have rubber gaskets and I have tightened them with a wrench. I did not use any sealing compound (pipe thread compound). Should I, or are the slip joints designed to function without such a...

Forgot To Prime Joints [ 1 Answers ]

I remembered to prime my pvc pipe, yet forgot to prime just one of the elbows. Am I in danger of a leaky pipe now? Thank you in advance

View more questions Search