Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    affpro1234 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Removing an interior wall
    I am Renovating my kitchen and am removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room.

The roof is constructed with W trusses that span the entire house. The wall rests beneath the middle of the trusses, but only halfway along from an exterior wall. After searching on-line for a while I have found several contradictory answers.

Any insight is welcome.

BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jun 7, 2007, 09:53 AM
    If those pictures were all taken from the same vantage point, your wall is parallel with the trusses & rafters, so you shouldn't need to worry about any load on it. Also, once you've taken the wallboard off, you can see there are no headers over the door or pass-through opening. Going strictly by what is shown in these pics, you should be OK, but without being there to see in person there's always the chance that somethingis bearing on it.
    affpro1234 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed1500
    If those pictures were all taken from the same vantage point, your wall is parallel with the trusses & rafters, so you shouldn't need to worry about any load on it. Also, once you've taken the wallboard off, you can see there are no headers over the door or pass-through opening. Going strictly by what is shown in these pics, you should be OK, but without being there to see in person there's always the chance that somethingis bearing on it.
    The photos are not taken from the same vantage point and the wall runs perpendicular to the trusses. Also the main support beam of the floor runs directly under the wall in the same direction as the wall
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Even though the truss runs different from what BigRed thought he is still correct. Lack of headers for the pass through and door indicate they carry no load. By the way that wall is put together I don't believe it is original, or you have some heavy drinking carpenters in your neck of the woods. The pass through framing is a joke. It does even have a 2x4 all the way along it and the door looks to be a single 2x4. Rip it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing adhesive on brick wall [ 4 Answers ]

I had a volunteer mount a metal plaque on a brick wall in an outside courtyard a couple of days ago. I went and looked to be sure the work was done, and found that the plaque is where it should be on the brick wall, but there is a yellow contact adhesive dripping from the plaque down the brick...

Removing pipe through wall [ 1 Answers ]

Just connected to sewage. The pipe to the old septic system was capped but left in the basement wall. The plumber's recommendation was to leave the pipe rather than take the chance of water leaks where the pipe would be removed. It would seem to me that a properly performed patch in the cinder...

Removing load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

What size header will I need to replace a wall that is in basement, one floor above, span is 10' 0"? Wall is load bearing.

Interior Wall&Ceiling Paint ? - suggestions needed for repairs! [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had to do some remodeling in my living room to accommodate an electrical switch, overhead light, and 2 wall sconses. This included a contractor making several holes in my ceiling and walls and repairing the holes with drywall. The drywall looks great, however when he came back to...

Removing a wall (with pictures [ 8 Answers ]

I have a wall which separates the vanity area from the shower/toilet area. I want to remove this wall, but was surprised when I removed the drywall. As seen in the photo below there is a 2X12 header across the door and a double 2X4 plate across the top. There is no support beam or post in the...

View more questions Search