Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Loneeagle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Proper GFI setup for boat house
    I am running electricity to my floating boat house. Right now I have a 50 amp breaker box on "land" I will run 6/3 wire to my dock. My intention is then to run the power to a circuit breaker panel located on the boat house using 6/3 wire(already installed). From each circuit on the panel I wanted to run GFI breakers to protect the individual circuits - will the gfi's work.

FYI:(I have tried a 50 amp GFI on land but the length of run - 50 feet - trips the 50 amp GFI breaker when using ANY electricity on the boat dock)

... OR would it be easier/safer to have a 50 amp GFI breaker box as the electricity enters the dock - then use the 6/3 wire (which is already installed) to the circuit breaker box and not have to worry about individual GFI circuits??

Grounding is my concern as well - If I go straight to a circuit breaker panel on the boat house - can I use the 6/3 or should it be 6/4?? ------ If I go with the option of having a 50 amp GFI breaker box as it enters the boat dock before it goes to the existing circuit breaker panel - should I use 6/4 to the GFI breaker box then can I go with the existing 6/3 out of the GFI breaker box to the existing circuit breaker panel??

The boat dock is floating on the water and really is not ground by "dry" land...

Hope this is not to confusing... Thanks... Alan
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 10:57 AM
    GFI shouldn't trip because of length. Thinking neutral?/ground? Maybe going through hull fitting or something. Basically A GFI will trip because difference in current being drawn by hot and neutral, so if hot is getting hot from GFI Breaker in panel, and neutral should be getting neutral from GFI, and any connection of GFI neutral to ground will reduce current seen at gfi(neutral). Causing GFI to trip.
    Did you separate neutral and ground at boat panel?
    Would Use 6-4
    Loneeagle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 01:26 PM
    I was told I needed to worry about length of run with a GFI - So I will cross that out as one of my problems.

Now - power running to my land base 50 amp GFI panel from a 200 amp source has the two postives connecting to the circuit breaker panel and the neutral going to a separate "lug" (I will call the Neutral Lug) in the panel. - Now the 6/3 coming out of the GFI circuit Breaker panel to the boat house is connected inside the GFI Panel as follows: 6/3 Ground is connected to a separate "lug" (I will call the Ground Lug) than where the neutral power (Neutral Lug) INCOMING is... then the 50 amp GFI BREAKER has one BLACK from the 6/3 connected to the GFI Breaker - One WHITE connected to the GFI Breaker and the WHITE Wire coming off the GFI Breaker is connected to the same lug as where the INCOMING NEUTRAL (Neutral Lug) is connected??

All of this then went down to the boat house to the Circuit Breaker Panel mounted in the boat house. The problem was the 50 amp GFI would trip when power was used in the boat house... (this is when I was told the run was to long)...

Also on the land base GFI Panel I have a separate copper ground rod driven in the ground with copper wire coming from the rod to the panel - grounding the panel...

Hope this makes sense?? And thanks... Alan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older House may need GFI Outlets [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am purchasing an older house (built in 1985). It does not have GFCI outlets and the inspection called this out. Is adding GFCI outlets as simple as replacing the outlet with a new one or is there re-wiring involved?

Atlantic crosing in a small boat [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find a documentery of 3 men in a 23 ft boat that croused the atlantic back in 1957 or around there. It was on TV and I saw it but can't find it again. I have meny detales of the crosing and all that stuff but I may be in the wrong dept for this and no use putting in a lot of info for...

WHAT IS A GFI breaker and where can I find it in my house [ 2 Answers ]

My outdoor outlet with xmas light went out last night when it rained. They lights will work in my indoor outlets. I cannot find a labeled breaker in the breaker box. An earlier post mentioned a GFI breaker might be the issue. What is a GFI and where would I find it? J

My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane [ 3 Answers ]

As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my...

What actor died on boat near Mexico ? [ 5 Answers ]

Back in the late 50's or early 60's there was a TV or movie actor that died aboard a private boat off the coast of Mexico. With him were three Mexican woman companions. I can't remember the name of the actor. Does anyone know with certainty who it was ?

View more questions Search