Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freberd Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 09:34 PM
    new pole garage needs wiring
    We have just had a new garage (30x36)built and we would like to run the electrical wire ourselves. We plan on having a bathroom and all the other normal garage stuff, heater hanging from the ceiling, compressor, security cameras and a washer and dryer in bathroom.

We have a couple questions though if you have the answers that would be helpful.

Do the electrical outlets have to be a certain height off the ground?

What is the suggested wire size for fluorescent lights?

wire size For wall outlets?

Recommend breaker panel?

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 02:51 AM
    There is no height code or restriction for outlets, except for ADA (American Disabilities Act) applications. Best to have the outlets at a convenient height, anywhere from 36" to 48", or where ever you desire.

Use all #12 wire for both lights and outlet circuits. The compressor and dryer may need larger wire sized for the load, typically #10 for the dryer, and could be #12 or #10 for the compressor. Check the nameplate for the amp load of the motor.

Not sure what your question is about the panel. Is one recommended? I would think so with several branch circuits to be served. The panel would need a 4 wire feeder, and at least one ground rod grounding the equipment ground bar in the panel, and keep the neutral and grounds separate.

All general purpose outlets will need to be GFI protected, except those for specific stationary appliances, such as the washer, refrigerator, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: I keep getting the GFCI breaker tripping after wiring my hot tub. I wired 2 hot Red and Black to the proper terminals and the White to the neutral and the Bare Copper to the ground Post at the tub. I am using 6-3 w/G per instructions. Could the GFCI breaker be bad? When I wire...

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

One pole of untied double-pole circuit breaker breaks [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new dryer (220 v appliance) to replace an older model. The old dryer was connected to the panel via a double-pole breaker except that there was no clip or tie between the poles. I changed the location of the outlet when installing the new dryer, replacing the cable with the...

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

Wiring my garage for a 230 VAC single phase welder [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 220 outlet for my 230VAC single phase welder in my garage I have a 60a double breaker is it as simple as black and white w/ red stripe wires to breaker and green to ground? Thanks for any help

View more questions Search