Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hansgreg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2005, 11:06 AM
    Glass Block Shower
    I am going to install a glass block shower in my bathroom.

I am going to (hopefully) attach the Door directly to the glass block.
    My understanding is that I put anchors in the morter joints to hold the door.

My question is about finishing. How would I finish the block around the door?
    It looks like glass block with a finished end is rounded, not flat so the door probably wouldn't seal well.

I suspose I could tile the outside edge of the block and attach the door through the tile.

Is there some sort of aluminum end cap I could use to finish the end of the block wall?

Another option I suspose is to build a frame for the door, but I don't like the idea of using wood, and then having to tile it.

Any ideas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2005, 02:04 PM
    I think I have seen glass block with a groove in it to set a frame in. Look for them. How big of a gap will the regular ones leave? Is it something you could fill with clear silicone? If worst come to worst, try building the frame out of aluminum like the door. The places that sell the doors usually sell various matching trim or filler strips.
    hansgreg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2005, 07:57 AM
    Curb building
    Thanks for the response, we are going to use 3" block, so the gap (I'm guessing) will be around 2 1/2 inches. We will consider making an aluminum frame, because it sounds better to me than anchoring the door in the morter joints. At this point since the mortor is white, we will probably just fill the end block with morter. THis will allow me to put anchors into the morter before it has set.

Next question... We are building the curb and shower base, but the building warehouese don't seem to know what I should use for the concrete. Should I use sand mix concrete, or morter mix? The curd will be 5 1/2 to 6 inches high.

Thanks

Hans

P.S. Months back I got a lot of help from this forum, in particular from speedball. I'm happy to say the whirlpool tub is now functional, and passed the city's code inspection. THanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glass shower door installation problem [ 7 Answers ]

My contractor put in an entire new shower for me, including the walls, fixtures, tile, etc. There is a glass shower door between two tiled half walls (and then glass going from the half walls on up). The glass is frameless except for where the glass meets the tops of the half walls. When the...

Building new shower with glass block [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to build a new 36' x 48" shower with glassblock on 1 1/2 sides, no shower door and tile on the other 2 walls. My question is: Is it best to buy a premade shower pan that is strong enough to hold the weight of the glass block on the caps or build my own? If prefab, any recommendations;...

Glass shower door slips [ 3 Answers ]

We have a frameless glass enclosure for our shower. It is constructed with 2 side panels fixed with silicone caulk on top, bottom and side and a door that has hinges inserted into u-shaped cutouts. There are inserts that sit between the hinge and the glass that are a clear flexible plastic-like...

Caulk or Grout in Glass Enclosed Shower Stall [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building (I own the apartment I live in). We remodeled the bathroom when we moved in three years ago, and put in a glass enclosed shower stall where a tub once lived. The shower stall has large ceramic tiles on the floor, and smaller differently-styled ceramic tiles...

Fiber Glass shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

My drain broke without me knowing. The strainer was still attached to the shower floor with some surrounding caulk. Water has been running in and around drain pipe creating a lot of moisture underneath the shower floor. Also, a strong lingering odor, I'm assuming from moisture and mold has...

View more questions Search