Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

May 27, 2011, 09:40 PM
    Backfill too wet?
    Our backfill has been stored on our backyard in a large triangular pile about 12' high> there's about 150 cu yds.

Its rained for 5 days_ light for 3 and then heavy (about an inch a day) for 2.

Is the backfill too wet to use? How can I tell? It's a sandy clay.

I would have covered it by tarps, but I was more worried about the excavation near the neighbours house and used them there instead.

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 31, 2011, 06:35 PM

We have to guess a bit here since we don't know what you built. Guessing a foundation wall, only way to tell is to plow into the pile to see how far in the dirt is soaked. I think it should be OK but be sure to lay gravel down in the trench first and do not push backfill againist the foundation wall perpendicular to the wall, you can buckle the wall.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2011, 03:12 AM

Soil compacts best when it is at optimum moisture content, which varies with soil types. Unless you have access to testing and analysis equipment, an educated guess is about the only option.
    Molding a sample (taken from well into the pile) in your hand will provide some clues. Form a ball with the sample in your hand. Is it firm or spongy? This is the best "seat of the pants guess" to indicate how the material will react when compacted.
    If it really is sandy clay (and not clayey sand) it will probably be too wet considering the recent weather you have described.
    The amount of residue left on the hand after molding a ball is also a clue--a lot, is an indication of too wet.
    Soil engineering is a science. The foregoing is not but it is as close as we can get under these circumstances.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jun 8, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Thanks Guys. Yes, it's the foundation for a new house.

The backfill was in the sun for a couple of days and completely dried out on the top. There was a wet layer about a foot down, and then it was relatively dry under that. I had the excavator mix the pile up by moving it, and then we used it.

Hopefully there will be no problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

French Drain Backfill [ 6 Answers ]

Quick one: When backfilling a French drain, what materials do you use? My thought was: Turf top Sand Pea gravel Perf pipe in a sock

Can a existing wet line with a vent exiting on the upper part of the wet pipe be used [ 2 Answers ]

Can a existing wet line with a vent exiting on the upper part of the wet pipe be used for a 2nd bathroom being contemplated for a 2nd floor farmhouse. Both the wet line and waste vent are both located in the basement. They were installed for a first floor bathroom. Please see attached pictures.

Suddenly wet carpet.no wet vacuum availability [ 3 Answers ]

I have about 2 square feet of carpet that got sodden from leaking "wall event'.. have sopped up with towels but am concerned about mildew etc. I have no wet vac capability Advice?

Can a get too wet? [ 5 Answers ]

I am multi-orgasmic and my boyfriend of 17 years is incredible and has never complained but can a get too wet. After repeated orgasms I worry that it's too wet for him that it takes away from his pleasure, etc. What do men out there feel? Think? Do you prefer a slightly less wet ? I...

Inside a pole barn backfill [ 8 Answers ]

I just built a 24x32 pole barn and need to backfill the inside. What would be the correct fill ? We are using it for horses.

View more questions Search