Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockwaterblue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2010, 10:59 AM
    removing a supporting wall in a barn.
    I have a hay crib wall in my barn about four feet from the exterior wall. The joists were cut so they terminate on the crib wall beam. I wish to remove the crib wall and extend the rafters to the exterior wall. The joists are 2x8. Can I just sister with 2x8's to extend the joists? If so, what should be the minimum overlap? Four Feet? What sort of nailing interval? Preferred nail size? 16d?
    rockwaterblue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2010, 11:53 AM
    Not answering, just adding information:
    There are joists which extend from another supporting wall all the way (about 12 feet) to the exterior wall. Such that we have a joist set up of... 12ft, 12ft, 12ft, X12ft, 8ft, 8ft, 12ft, 8ft, 8ft, 12ft, 8ft, 8ft, 12ft, 8ft, 8ft, 12ft,X 12ft, 12ft,12ft...
    Between the "X"'s is where the supporting wall is that I wish to remove. Don't know if that is very clear/understandable.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 24, 2010, 06:19 AM
    Can you draw this and scan it in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supporting wall [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys I live in Manchester,UK n want to knock down a wall to create an open plan kitchen/dining but hoe do I know if it's a supporting wall?

Replacing supporting wall [ 4 Answers ]

How does one replace a supporting wall in the most efficient financial manner while maintaining safety? We are trying our first "fixer upper" and must keeps costs sensible. Specifically, an outside L shaped porch has been previously closed in, leaving the internal living room still with its...

Supporting wall? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Ive just moved into a house and I want to knock the wall down between my dining room and kitchen.Is there a easy way of telling if it is a supporting wall?

How can I tell if it's a supporting wall? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I would like to remove a wall between my living room and a rather arkwardly shaped hallway. Our house is just over 100 years old. The floor board upstairs do run the same way as the wall (north to south) but the wall runs for just less than half the house (there is no beam continuing from...

Is it a supporting wall? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I would like to remove a cupboard in my kitchen but am not sure if it is safe to do so. I live on the middle floor in a block of three. The cupboard is in the corner of the room and is brick. The floors are concrete. How do I tell if this is a supporting wall? I only wonder because a plumber...

View more questions Search