Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _00bmartin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2010, 09:33 AM
    header size
    I live in a one story rancher in New Jersey. I am looking to replace my front window with a bay window. Currently the front window is two double hung totaling 55 inches wide. There is a double 2x6 as a header now. The bay window is 84 inches wide. Can I use a double 2x8 or does it have to be bigger.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 24, 2010, 10:02 AM

You may need a permit for this so check on that first. Local codes may dictate header size. Is this a load bearing wall or end wall?
    _00bmartin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2010, 10:09 AM
    I know I need a permit in NJ to change the header size but not sure what the code is. It is also a load bearing wall.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Jun 27, 2010, 04:32 AM

We need to know the width of your house in order to determine the header size.

'Width' is the outside wall-to-wall distance in the direction of your rafters and perpendicular to the ridge beam.

(The longer the rafters and ceiling joists the more load is placed on the header)

It is then a simple matter of looking in the IRC Code Tables for header sizes on exterior bearing walls.

Right now, it appears you are going to need at least 2 2x10s if your building width is 20 feet or less and more likley 3 2x10s for this 7ft header if your building width exceeds 20 feet.

Alternately you can install an LVL if header depth is an issue.

NJ uses the 2006 International Residential Code statewide.

The IRC also requires TWO jack studs under each end of this header whatever type you use, so you may end up having to increase the opening size in order to install it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size header is needed for a 6' opening on an end wall when removing 5 studs? [ 1 Answers ]

I am converting an attached garage into a formal dining area. The garage is on the other side of the end wall of the house where the living room and kitchen are. The garage was 2 steps down from the kitchen. I have replaced the garage door with 2 windows and raised the floor 9" using 2x8s on 16"...

Bearing wall header size [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to replace the outside wall in a mobil home The span is 15'7" where the sliding door is.

Header size for load bearing wall [ 2 Answers ]

I live is a colonial 2 story home. I am currently remodeling my kitchen/dining room. I currently have a header of 68 inches on the load bearing wall between my dining room and living room. I want to open that up to 84 inches. Can I use dimensional lumber to frame out the header and if so what...

Header size requirement [ 1 Answers ]

What size header is required when opening a load bearing wall in a basement of a 1 story house. Span is to be 109 inches, inside jack stud to jack stud? Thanks much

Header tank [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I have my hot water from my heating venting into my header tank but only when hot water and heating is on, if I put them on individual it does not happen?? Thermostat is OK and pump is fine.

View more questions Search