Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhauser Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Older home, sagging floors
    Hello
    We're looking at an old 3 level (walk up attic) Victorian, early 1900s. Structurally, it appears to be sound, solid foundation, straight lines, etc - however, a couple of the floors sag - the dining room on the first floor, a bedroom on the second. They are both solid however. An inspector who went through the house called them normal for the age, and neither of us see any glaring issues in the basement - there is an added support pole that appears to be under the family room, but nothing around it to indicate that it is replacing a failed structure. How much of a worry should this be? While the upstairs would seem to be more difficult to get to, it seems we could add another support in the basement for the dining room. My understanding is that it is best added to help maintain where it is now, not to try and raise it? Any thought appreciated...
    barbe4 Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Nov 12, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dhauser
    Hello
    We're looking at an old 3 level (walk up attic) Victorian, early 1900s. Structurally, it appears to be sound, solid foundation, straight lines, etc - however, a couple of the floors sag - the dining room on the first floor, a bedroom on the second. They are both solid however. An inspector who went through the house called them normal for the age, and neither of us see any glaring issues in the basement - there is an added support pole that appears to be under the family room, but nothing around it to indicate that it is replacing a failed structure. How much of a worry should this be? While the upstairs would seem to be more difficult to get to, it seems we could add another support in the basement for the dining room. My understanding is that it is best added to help maintain where it is now, not to try and raise it? Any thought appreciated...
    You don't state the amount of sagging. You can fix any individual space by tearing up the floor and attaching stringers to the exsisting ones that would be level and putting the floor back down. Settling doesn't often occur only to the floor. In leveling the floor will the ceiling now appear out of plumb? How about the windows and window sashes?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older home, ceilings and walls covered [ 3 Answers ]

Hello We're looking at an old 3 level (walk up attic) Victorian, early 1900s. Structurally, it appears to be sound, solid foundation, straight lines, etc - however, most of the walls in the house have floor to ceiling wood paneling (nice looking wood, not 70's style!) which appears to have been...

Help with installing a digital thermostat in an older home. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. I was wondering if it is possible to install the digital thermostats with the older wiring in my home... the thermostat I have now (a round dial type--Honeywell) is only connected to a2 black wires. There are no other wires coming up through the wall that I can see. My furnace is older...

Age spots, discoloration and sagging skin [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have lots of age spots and discoloration and sagging skin can someone suggest the best skin lightner and antiaging product on the market please Thanks

Breast sagging [ 5 Answers ]

I've recently had a baby and I breastfed for a while, now my breast sag some and they don't look the same from before I got pregnant. Like they've gotten smaller. I've been thinking about implants but its too much money. So I've started taking pills that help increase bust size. The pills are...

View more questions Search