Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Oct 6, 2009, 06:58 AM
    Joint compound cracks on inside corners of drywall
    I'm finishing drywall and am having a problem with the inside corners... I used the 90 minute Sheetrock Lightweight Setting-Type Joing Compound powder to embed the tape everywhere... all that worked great...

However, I'm finishing with Sheetrock Lightweight All Purpose Joint Compound (blue lid). I applied a thin coat on each side of the corner, about 1/4" from the corner... then, when dry, use a corner tool to fill in the corner.

Everything looks great when I'm done applying but, once it dries, the corners have tiny hairline cracks down the corners. It looks like the compound just cracked upon drying, but I can't figure out why... the thickness of the corner coat is maybe 1/16" or less... definitely no more than 1/8" anywhere.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? I was thinking MAYBE I thinned the compound too much? I didn't add that much water, but that's all I can think of. Or maybe I should run a wet sponge down the corner before I apply the corner coat to keep it from drying too fast??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 08:29 AM

Hairline cracks usually means it was too thick. You can do one more very thin coat or take a damp sponge and wipe the corner. I use a damp sponge rather than sand paper to feather my edges, no dust or scratches
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Oct 6, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Thanks for your quick response. I assume the wet sponge will serve to "re-melt" the corner compound to fill the cracks? I'll try both suggestions - thanks again so much.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 01:42 PM

It probably is shrinkage if you are thinning the joint compound very much. The corner tool is probably pushing all of the mud out of the corner and you are not filling the crack. On the corners you have done, run a small bead of caulking in the crack and wipe away the excess with your finger. Throw away the corner tool and do one side of the corner today and the other tomorrow using your joint knife. Using a wet sponge is like sanding but the dissolved joint compound does not re adhere. It goes in the bucket you rinse the sponge in.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 05:40 PM

Yes, it remelts and cause the compound to flash or spread amd smear out smooth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I finish sheetrock inside corners with caulk? [ 12 Answers ]

My contractor wants to use caulk, rather than tape and Spackle, to finish the inside corners of sheet rock he has just hung in my house. He says it will save time and that I will never know the difference. I have never heard of this. Is it an acceptable practice? Thanks.

Joint compound in corners [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a double-wide mobile home. Of course like any mobile home, I have strips of one 1/8 inch by 1 inch strips of wood about every 3 to 3.5 feet covering up the joints where the dry wall comes together. I am in the process of removing all the strips and putting joint compound on them to smooth...

Interior Drywall Cracks [ 1 Answers ]

5 years ago, I moved into a house that was built in 1978 and it is in S. California. The house was painted after I moved in. In addition, about a month ago the roof was replaced with light weight tile. Starting last year, I starting to see few cracks. Is it notmal? Any insight will be helpful. ...

Continued drywall cracks [ 5 Answers ]

Hey folks, I moved into a new home about 14 months ago. We had a foundation problem where the foundation cracked and one of the back corners sunk about 3 inches. The builder has fixed the foundation problem (he called in Olshan) and has fixed most of the interior problems. One problem we are...

View more questions Search