Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrschenck Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Drywall topping sq ft coverage
    I would like to find out if any one knows about how much square foot coverage an average box of 3.5g of topping covers.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 06:52 AM
    It varies depending on what it's being used for. What are you referring to when you say 3.5g?

Typically Topping comes either pre-mixed (and in that case you can take the volume and determine coverage for any thickness you want to use) or powder.

If powder, then check the directions to see how much volume that amount of power will make... and you can get your coverage from there.

What brand of Topping are you looking at? Is it powder or pre-mixed? What is the net weight of it?

Oct 26, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    It varies depending on what it's being used for. What are you referring to when you say 3.5g?

Typically Topping comes either pre-mixed (and in that case you can take the volume and determine coverage for any thickness you want to use) or powder.

If powder, then check the directions to see how much volume that amount of power will make...and you can get your coverage from there.

What brand of Topping are you looking at? Is it powder or pre-mixed? What is the net weight of it?
    It is a pre-mix box (1cubic ft? ) of light topping. Not sure of the net weight or brand. Just trying to get an estimate of how much I need for a project.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 08:27 AM
    The cube foot sounds about right for premix in a box.

Again, though, the amount needed depends on what you're doing with it. You can tape joints, fill cracks, skim-coat entire walls, etc...

So bottom line will come down to a formula. 1 cu. ft. = 1728 cu. in... divide 1728 by what you think the average thickness of application will be to get square inches.

Example: If your average application is 1/16" (.0625) then the coverage will be about 2700 sq. inches/225 sq. ft...

Oct 26, 2006, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    The cube foot sounds about right for premix in a box.

Again, though, the amount needed depends on what you're doing with it. You can tape joints, fill cracks, skim-coat entire walls, etc...

So bottom line will come down to a formula. 1 cu. ft. = 1728 cu. in....divide 1728 by what you think the average thickness of application will be to get square inches.

Example: If your average application is 1/16" (.0625) then the coverage will be about 2700 sq. inches/225 sq. ft...
    Thanks. That will give a good idea of how much to buy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall [ 6 Answers ]

My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws. Is this situation serious and what...

Worried about Coverage [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question concerning a wreck my son had about 6 months ago. He totaled his vehicle. I was just glad he came out without a scratch. With this accident, he knock down one of the light poles.Anyway, he was fully covered and the insurance company paid me for the vehicle. Now yesterday I...

Rusting drywall tools [ 2 Answers ]

Any thoughts on preventing rust on drywall knives? I wash the with a hose and dry them with a towel or, when available, let them sun dry. I also rub them with steel wool before use to remove whatever surface rust is visible. But after much use the bluing seems to have eroded away leaving bare...

Drywall corner technique [ 6 Answers ]

Well, I am progressing with my seemingly endless bathroom remodel and have a few drywll/mudding questions: 1) What are some techniques for neatly mudding and sanding the top ceiling corners where the 2 walls and ceiling meet? I have a corner sponge which is great for the long 2 wall corners but...

? About insurance coverage to someone's property I damage [ 1 Answers ]

I damaged some property at an office building. It was my fault. Does my homeowner's liability insurance cover that? If not, is there insurance that does cover it?

View more questions Search