Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laresident Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Interior Drywall Cracks
    5 years ago, I moved into a house that was built in 1978 and it is in S. California. The house was painted after I moved in. In addition, about a month ago the roof was replaced with light weight tile. Starting last year, I starting to see few cracks. Is it notmal? Any insight will be helpful.

1. There is a long line of crack where ceiling meets wall in the living room where the roof is slopping.

2. In addition, there are crack above doorways (connecting kitchen and dinning room) extending about 12" to the ceiling. These cracks above the doorways seems to be jagged as if the two sides of the joints are moving in opposite directions vertically.

3. I am also seeing several long lines on the ceiling (no cracks) from one side to the other side of the room. This is visible in most of the rooms.

Thanks.
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Oct 13, 2008, 08:32 PM

This does happen to houses from settling, but unless you scrape off the areas to see what is happenng, you won't know. Maybe they didn't use tape on the drywall, or maybe they used fiber tape and didn't coat it enough. I would take the edge of the putty knife and lightly scrape out the craks and then scrape of the rough edges with the long edge flush to the wall. Buy a product called "Shur PAtch" or another brand of "light weight " Filler. This stuff does have a little flex to it after it dries, but doesn't sand good. So, what you do, is take some shur patch, and push it in the cracks that you scraped, then take the putty knife and wip it flush with the wall (or area) leaving none behind. Let it dry until the next day and then use some normal drywall mud and lay a couple thin layers (letting each coat dry completely) and lightly sand... prime and paint!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know what to charge for interior painting and drywall finishing and painting [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what to charge per square foot to prime and to finish coat new drywall? I am bidding to paint interior walls and ceilings in a new house. One coat primer and one coat finish. Both coats will be sprayed and backrolled. What is an average rate to charge per foot for each coat?

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

Continued drywall cracks [ 5 Answers ]

Hey folks, I moved into a new home about 14 months ago. We had a foundation problem where the foundation cracked and one of the back corners sunk about 3 inches. The builder has fixed the foundation problem (he called in Olshan) and has fixed most of the interior problems. One problem we are...

View more questions Search