Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FIREGUY580 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Tarping a flat roof
    Hello need some help trying to tarp a flat roof with a/c unit on it what is the best was to stop water from coming in around the units don't want to cover the a/c unit they will burn up
    rawsushi Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

May 23, 2008, 11:18 PM
    I need more information... what size is the roof? Are there drains on it - or does the water run off the side? Where is the leak? Near / under the AC unit? What's the roof material? How window of an area do you live in?

Some GENERAL RULES of roofing.

Flat roofs are the MOST dangerous - it's easy to forget you're walking on one.
    Go to Home Depot and buy EITHER "Wetpatch" (which you CAN put on when the roof is wet) or BETTER buy Plastic Roof Cement (can NOT put on when roof is wet). Either way, but rubber gloves... and Don't GET THE MATERIAL on you. If there is a BIG crack, then buy 6 inch webbing

1. If you can find the area where it is leaking, blow off that area with a blower (or broom off)
    2 put crappy clothing on if time
    3 put rubber gloves on
    4 rub plastic roof cement (mastic) like peanut butter leaving 3 inches on each side of any hole or crack.
    5 lay piece of webbing over the mastic- push it gently into the mastic
    6 rub another layer of mastic OVER the webbing - so that you do not see the webbing anymore.

With flat roofs, try to NEVER drive a nail into the roof
    Never put an AC unit directly on the roof - always try to use something to separate it from the roof - as it'll vibrate and wear a hole in the roof.

The BEST flat roof is a PVC roof - see IB Roof Systems

YouTube - rawsushi's Channel
    BRC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREGUY580
    hello need some help trying to tarp a flat roof with a/c unit on it what is the best was to stop water from coming in around the units dont want to cover the a/c unit they will burn up
    You can cut around AC unit and seal with peel and seal tape around the area prone the water intrusion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temporary fix for flat roof [ 8 Answers ]

Here is my story.I started to repair my flat roof.well its almost flat.it slopes about 12 inches over the whole span of 14 feet. This roof is above my second garage.it is attached to the house. Well I removed all the old roll roofing,all the old plywood and I also replaced 3 joists. I laid down all...

Insulation of flat roof [ 7 Answers ]

I just had the roof and plywood replaced over a 1950s addition. I exposed the rafters in the ceiling below. My question is, after I insulate with 6 1/2 kraft faced, what can I use for a vapor barrier, between insulation and sheetrock?

Roll roofing on flat shed roof [ 4 Answers ]

The only option I am finding locally for the roll roofing material has the granules all the way to both edges. I am familiar with the kind that has a 2-inch selvage edge. How does one apply the type where there is no selvage edge? Do I still overlap at the 2-inches from row to row?

Shingles not flat on new roof [ 5 Answers ]

Just had a new roof installed with all new plywood etc. Looks like a fine job except that most of the shingles do not lie 100%flat on the bottom. Someone told me that it's because the weather is still cold (it was installed beginning of December in NY) and that if it were warm, that the shingles...

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

View more questions Search