Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PatnSue Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Covering cinder block
    Our family is relocating and we're looking at buying a house with block foundation, conventional frame, vinyl siding and a Basement. The concern I have (only viewed it on-line) is the walkout basement is exposed cinder block. Is it possible to put vinyl siding on cinder block (home was built in 1990)? Are there other options to covering it? I like the house except for all that exposed cinder block! There's a fair amount showing at the front of the home around the base, but I think landscaping could go a long way towards improving the look of that.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 24, 2008, 01:20 PM
    There are many options for this. You could put siding on it, stucco, stone veneer. I think stone looks best for rthe exposed foundation in most cases. Vinyl siding would work but it is always nice to change it up down low for some character. See what your neighbors are doing as well , you might see something you really like.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 01:39 PM
    I totally agree, I like faux stone the best and used it on my log cabin inside and out. Not real cheap but not that hard to install and looks great.

Mar 24, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Great suggestions -- thanks! I hadn't considered stone veneer or the idea of varying the look for the main floor and the basement. I appreciate the input:D

Mar 26, 2008, 03:22 PM
    This is what I used. Eldorado Stone Corning also makes a very good brand of faux stone.

Mar 26, 2008, 07:49 PM
    I appreciate the specific information. I'll check out the Eldorado Stone.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 27, 2008, 04:00 AM
    The stone is very nice. I like the looks of it myself, however I have clients who don't like to spend the money sometimes. I have covered a lot of block with mastic. I generally buy mine from Lite-Form but you can get it at any box store as well. It can be troweled on and then left smooth or you can brush it for design or texture. I usually spray it on and it has a nice orange peel effect. You can leave it gray or paint it after 30 days.
    MIke

Mar 27, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Mike is right about costs. Its boils down to the home owners pockets in the end. Stucco, parge or Lite Form are all options that are less expensive than Eldorado but you get what you pay for, curb appeal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold in cinder block house. [ 4 Answers ]

I hope I am posting in the right place. I am an American living in Bucharest Romania. We rent a house.. a very old house with a small basement that we do not use. It is very musty and probably moldy... but I have never ventured that far. My husband has been down there and it is empty except for...

Mold on outside cinder block wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have black mold growing on my outside cinder block wall sourendering my back yard. I live in Las Vegas so the climate is dry but watering the lawns is causing the mold to grow since we have to water in the evenings so the water does evaporate so fast due to the hot climate. How do I remove this...

Repairing cinder block foundation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the driveway. Over the years water coming down from the roof and building up behind a 2 1/2' retaining wall next to the garage has...

View more questions Search