Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KristyPackwood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Furnace makes loud banging sound when it turns off
    When my furnace turns off there is a loud bang. It looks and sounds like there is air being sucked in through the ducts and then 'let go' all of a sudden. Any suggestions on what this could be and how to fix it?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 08:57 AM
    It is a sheet metal sound you probably hear.
    Is your furnace filter clear?
    Are all your registers open?

You can call a professional and have the cross brake the offending piece of sheet metal.
    pomonabill220 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2008, 04:47 PM
    If is is a sheet metal sound, this is called "oil canning".
    Years ago (and still today) there are oil cans made that dispense oil by pressing on the bottom of the can and it makes a kind of "pink-ponk" sound because the bottom is convex and is designed to flex.
    A large piece of sheet metal duct will do the same as it heats up and cools, making it expand and contract, or has a large amount of back pressure that makes it bow.
    If it is the return duct or plemunm, it will bow in and pop as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tub makes Loud Popping sound after use [ 2 Answers ]

We have a new home, one year old, and every night after we have given the kids a bath, and have emptied the water, the tub makes a very loud popping sound. This popping happens several times every night and it can continue for up to 8 hrs after the bath. Please advise.

Whirlpool Dryer makes loud banging noise when on and empty [ 2 Answers ]

Our dryer suddenly makes loud banging noises when on and its empty. Could it be the tub or a belt or something else. How do I go about fixing it? Thanks

Odd Sound After Furnace Turns Off [ 6 Answers ]

Hey All, I hope you can answer my question and set my mind at ease :) After my furnace turns off (the very second) it makes this "creak" or low vibrato deflating kind of sound. It usually happens twice back to back. It never did that before and it just started this year. Should I be concerned? I...

Loud banging heat pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - Maybe someone out there can shed some light on my problem. I recently had heat installed in my basement. It runs across the basement ceiling (above drywall) and behind sheetrock walls between studs. When the heat turns on you can hear a trickling of the water running through the pipes,...

Heater/ac makes loud humming sound [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Bob Harris. My 15 year old trane heater and my year old carrier a/c makes a loud humming noise when turned on. We get air from the vents but the noise is a nuisance. Any ideas on the problem?

View more questions Search