Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RemodelGirl Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Now what about electric nailers
    You guys have been very helpful, and I thank you for that, but I have noticed the electric nailers, do you guys have any comments about them? I think for my framer I will definitely go air power, but I am going to be doing a lot, LOT, of trim in my house, will a electric trim nail gun do OK?better than air or worse? Or should I use a air power for that also, I have all Oak cabinets and trim and will need a gun to get through that. Thanks again guys for any help. RMG.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2008, 08:00 PM
    I tried an electric nailer. It sucked. I'd go pneumatic.

I'd get a cheap and "quiet" compressor like the Husky Air Scout ($89) or (if you have the $$) the Makita MAC700 ($170). You'll find lots of uses for a compressor, so don't be afraid of one. A 1 or 2gal compressor takes seconds to fill and are not that unwieldy to use. You'll find many uses for a quality compressor.

Then you can get any array of brad or finish nailers. I've had good experience with Porter Cable, Bostich, and Dewalt.

If you're really against compressors, you could get a pneumatic and the CO2 regulator. Paslode makes some nice nailers that use gas cartridges too. Those are available all the way up to framers.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 08:24 PM
    I agree with Biggsie as usual. The electric stuff was like a stapler. I have a small tank compressor and can run pretty much eveything. When I get down to oak trim I use a Bostitch pin nailer, even thinner than a brad. Stanley Bostitch :  Finish And Trim I think Campbell Hausfield makes some pretty cheap stuff that would hold up for most DIYers but not necessarily for a tradesman.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Mar 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Stay with air powered guns, and for trim I use porter cable. Brad gun and finish nailers, all use straight nails... there also cheaper than the angled nails and guns

As for the electric guns they lack the power you'll need to drive a nail in oak.
    Raymonator Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Mar 18, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Electric nailer is really a waste of money, couldn't even nail mdf thin baseboards and trim properly. I will be looking into a small tank compressor this summer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

Electric again [ 20 Answers ]

Oh my gosh I am going nuts,first I thought it was fixed. Had the Electric Company come ,they fixed their problem, but they say now all my stuff is pretty well shot outside at the pole. Inside if Im on the computer and the heat or fridge turns on all the lights get real real dim computer shuts...

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

View more questions Search