Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JOAL Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Electrical Service
    What size service wire do I need for a 200 amp service? This would be from the meter base to the hydro incoming lines.
    Sand Daddy Posts: 95, Reputation: 14

Feb 2, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Typically it would be the following:

200 amp panel = #4/0-4/0-2/0 AL USE (218 feet or less)

You may need to check the local codes in your area.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 12:52 PM
    For copper you could use 2 2/0 and 1 1/0, I use a #4 for ground. Any distance to this?

Feb 2, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Just the distance to the mast head approximately 15 feet
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 04:17 PM
    2 2/0 and 1 1/0 copper, we can't use aluminum, and won't use myself? Aluminum has been determined safe in some areas.

Feb 6, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Thanks guys it helped a lot and I now have power.
    Thanks again
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Feb 6, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    2 2/0 and 1 1/0 copper, we can't use aluminum, and won't use myself? Aluminum has been determined safe in some areas.
    And why has your area found alum unsafe?
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 06:31 PM
    We are stuck on a string of Islands, surrounded by Saltwater, Very destructive. Their was a supplement to NEC Code in our County for many years, No Aluminum, No #14, 12 is and has been minimum, and I like it.
    Trailers built in other states were allowed in, bypassing safety. Eventually it is NO Aluminum.FIRES, Sorry, didn't mean to yell.
    With the Prices of Copper now, I easily see why people seek Aluminum. In other areas I might use aluminum for the Service, But would want interior wiring to be Copper. I will never change my mind. I like Copper? Silver and Gold are out of the Question, and Aluminum is worse?
    Also, I didn't say it was unsafe, I said some places think it it safe, You Might be a Lawyer. I had to be careful.
    Take Care
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Feb 6, 2008, 07:16 PM
    I see! Interesting! Not a Lawyer, and I'm 100% sure you wouldn't have a problem if I was.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate electrical service needs [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I frequently do art shows. The only electricity we need is to power six clamp-on lights, each using a 65 watt bulb. For the first time ever, we are being asked to request the type of service we need, i.e. up to 600 watts or 5 amps, up to 1000 watts or 8.3 amps, etc. I hate to be...

Electrical service calculation [ 3 Answers ]

I have seen that some of the helpful moderators and members can run calculations to determine what size (how many amps) electrical service is called for. I am changing the service on my home and need to decide whether I go with 100amp, 125amp, 150amp, or 200amp service (I think that is how the...

Electrical service question [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased an old house that has a fuse panel with two 60 amp fuses for the main. Is this considered 60 Amp or 120 Amp service? I guess it is 60 Amp per phase but I am not sure of the "Service" terminology. I am looking to upgrade to 200 Amp service as I want to get rid of the boiler and...

Electrical service size [ 3 Answers ]

I'm ready to install electric boilers in my shop that has not been wired yet. The boilers require 80/80 and 60/30 amps according to manufacturer literature. Does this mean that I need 250 amps plus normal lights/welder/compressor draws? Like 350amp service? Does the service have to be able to...

What type of electrical service do I need? [ 13 Answers ]

My name is JC and I was wondering what type of electrical service I need. My circuit breaker panel only has 26 breakers in it and it is 100 AMPS. The electrician says I will need increase my service to 200 AMPS. This will give me room for 40 Breakers. I am rewiring the house and I do not have...

View more questions Search