Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bovaclan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Whirlpool won't agitate or spin
    I have a Heavy Duty Extra Capacity 6 Cycle 2 Speed model that will fill and then the
    Motor will run, but no action in either wash or spin cycle.:(

After opening it up I found a black rubber disc and rubber shavings under it but could
    Not confirm it came from this washer. (I'd hope we cleaned up before putting in the
    New washer) here's picture::eek:
    IMAG0096 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

While looking for the source of the rubber disc and shavings I found a plastic "cup"
    With a cotter pin in it. I looks like it was there to catch the pin if / when it fell out, and
    Here's a picture of it::confused:
    IMAG0098 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    cgregory67 Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 27, 2008, 02:47 PM
    That bushing is from washer, it's part of a coupler between 2 finger gears. One gear is on the transmission and the other on the motor, that bushing is between them. If your washer transmission fails or drum binds that bushing is designed to disintegrate as it has, while keeping the motor from getting stuck and burning up. Overloading can also cause this over time.

The parts are inexpensive but you need to see if the transmission is free to turn, some lock up on different cycles. If you know the machine has been overloaded, or something got stuck in the agitator then replace the bushing and gears. Look up your model on the Whirlpool website and you can order parts.
    bovaclan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bovaclan
    I have a Heavy Duty Extra Capacity 6 Cycle 2 Speed model that will fill and then the
    motor will run, but no action in either wash or spin cycle.:(

After opening it up I found a black rubber disc and rubber shavings under it but could
    not confirm it came from this washer. (I'd hope we cleaned up before putting in the
    new washer) here's picture::eek:
    IMAG0096 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

While looking for the source of the rubber disc and shavings I found a plastic "cup"
    with a cotter pin in it. I looks like it was there to catch the pin if / when it fell out, and
    here's a picture of it::confused:
    IMAG0098 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much. I will advise on the progress.
    Did the pictures help?
    cgregory67 Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 27, 2008, 04:52 PM
    They sure did, best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool washer won't agitate or spin [ 6 Answers ]

This machine is probably about 10 years old. It is a direct drive. The washer will fill and drain but when it tries to agitate or spin I hear a grinding and clicking sound coming from the bottom of the washer. I cannot turn the agitator by hand. Would this be a problem with the motor, or...

Whirlpool washer won't spin or agitate [ 1 Answers ]

Whirlpool top-load washer won't spin or agitate, it makes an awful sound but doen't do anything. It does fill and drain.

Whirlpool washer - will not agitate, drain or spin. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool top loading washer that has these symptoms... Fills with water, does not agitate, does not drain, does not spin. The motor hums loudly, but no mechanical activity. The "wig-wag" was replaced several years ago. Model: LA5580XK

Whirlpool washer will not agitate but will spin and drain [ 3 Answers ]

Model# LA5530XSW2 My washer will fill up but will not agitate, you can hear a humming noise and can smell something. It will drain & spin just not agitate. Please help me how to resolve this problem. Thank you

Whirlpool Washer LA7800XT does not spin or agitate [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a Whirlpool washer (model LA7800XT) that does not agitate or spin but does everything else fine. It is 16 years old but only used once or twice a month and the innard components appear to be in good shape if that's any relevant. I'm trying to diagnose the electrical components...

View more questions Search