Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheilaos06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 03:08 AM
    Laying porcelain tiles onto a concrete floor
    I am tiling my kitchen floor, however some of the adhesive is not drying out properly and the tiles are lifting. Why would this be and how do I go about lifting the dried out adhesive to reaply?

Any advice would be good, Thanks Sheila
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 03:34 AM
    Are you sure the adhesive is the proper type for both the surface you are putting tile onto and the tile? My guess is that it's not, but I'm not positive. Good luck!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 03:51 AM
    That is a good point above about the adhesive being the proper type.

I would suggest reading all of the directions on the container for the adhesive at least two or three times in order to get it into your mind the best that you can. Also, how large of an area are you applying the adhesive to before applying the tile? If you apply the adhesive in too large of an area, then it will be likely to dry out. How about working in much smaller areas, maybe even going one tile at a time?

Also, do you have and are you using all of the correct tools for this job, such as the proper type of adhesive applicator for the adhesive that you are using?

As far as removing the dried adhesive I would suggest using a broad wood chisel or very stiff and fine-edged putty knife and a hammer.

That's my take on this anyhow. Perhaps others will come along to offer their advice also.
    shudama Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheilaos06
    I am tiling my kitchen floor, however some of the adhesive is not drying out properly and the tiles are lifting. Why would this be and how do I go about lifting the dried out adhesive to reaply?

Any advice would be good, Thanks Sheila
    Did you use mastic or thin set mortar? Was there some type of finish on the existing floor?
    Are you certain there were no protruding nail heads or dirt or anything else that didn't allow for good contact between the tile and the floor?

More specifics on the existing floor would help to determine the problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Porcelain vs Ceramics tiles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how to distinguish a ceramic tile from a porcelain one. Cheers

Laying tiles [ 2 Answers ]

Can you lay cerramic tiles ontop of other tiles

Loud cracking noise under ceramic tiles on concrete slab floor. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Florida and my home was built in 1994. Last night I was woken up by a very loud cracking noise under my floor tiles in the laundry room off the garage. None of the tiles broke,but now when I walk on them it sounds like there is loose mortar underneath them. My question is... what...

Ceramic Tiles on a Concrete Basement Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install ceramic tiles in my basement. The floor is concrete. What do I have to do?

View more questions Search