Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    askahealer Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Questions about tile floors
    I purchased and old health center with tile floors.

I don't know what kind of tile it is so I can't figure out how to clean the wax build up off it and get it shiny again.

It was a health center so it's the old, brownish grey tile that they so often used in that type of building a few decades ago. The building was built in 1982.

If anyone knows how to clean that sort of tile, or how I would find out what kind of tile it is, I'd be most appreciative.

Ps. It would be a great bonus to me if you also know of eco-friendly, non-toxic solutions for cleaning that type of tile floor and for waxing it. I'm not into toxic stuff. That's one reason I bought an older building so that all the outgassing would be over. I don't want to create new outgassing problems.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 23, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Id bet it's that commercial grade glue down tiles. I think there is a cleaner at Lowe's or any flooring store for this, also this type floor get buffed also.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 07:52 PM
    ( Good answer Glavine;, ) askahealer::::, If the tile measures ( 9"x 9" ) then it is the old asbestes type tile, it was glued down with what was called cutback, it looked like black tar. Back at that time , that's just about all they had .
    askahealer Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    ( Good answer Glavine;, ) askahealer::::, If the tile measures ( 9"x 9" ) then it is the old asbestes type tile, it was glued down with what was called cutback, it looked like black tar. Back at that time , thats just about all they had .
    Yikes, asbestos? I don't like the idea of that at all. Wouldn't they have had to inform me of that when I bought the building? It was built in 1982... were they still using asbestos then? These tiles are about 11 1/2" x 11 1/2" so hopefully, that's not what they are.

You didn't mention how to clean them... any info along those lines very helpful.

There is one place in the boiler room where the tile was cut away and it appears not to have anything black looking or tar looking there so maybe this is not the type of tile you referred to.

Thanks for the input.
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 08:21 PM
    O.K. askahealer: I think I know just where you can find the answers to your questions.. Look in your yellow pages for a local flooring co. that has been in buness. For several years. They should be able to give you the answers you need . I don!t know what your local is or I might be able to tell you who to contact. F.B.E. I!Ve laid a lot of that tile in the old days . There is wax removers ,wax ,cleaners, For that kind of tile :::
    Nutter butter Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2007, 11:42 PM
    Beware of only 9 x 9. Not used after 79. But you can strip and buff it all you want if it was.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 03:52 AM
    It definitely sounds like the newer, asbestos free stuff. Even if it isn't the dangers of asbestos are grossly exaggerated. Yes there is a form of cancer that only people that worked around asbestos get, but it is never seen in the general public.

Do you have a floor buffer and experience using it? Maybe you should consider using a cleaning service? Buffers are expensive and a bit to handle. Likely you have plenty of other things to take care of in opening the business.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Askahealer;;; If the floor tile measures that much then I do noy beiieve it is the old kind because it was 9"x9" . ALso to the other question , the answer is (YES) by law theyare susposed to inform the buyers of any thing like asbestes, lead paint etc. etc. When you go to a flooring co. get a small piece of the tile out of the boiler room and take it with you. ::: F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use cut floor tile for a tile baseboard? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I laid down 13"by13" tile for my bathroom floor, and it looks pretty good. I have enough tile left over to make a tile baseboard. The width could be anywhere from 3 inches to 6.5 inches. What would be best? Would the finish edge at the top look strange? How could I make it look best? ...

"waterproof membrane" for tile floors [ 2 Answers ]

I keep reading that I should use a "waterproof membrane" for my bathroom floor (which has a tub/shower). But they never mention what could constitute a "waterproof membrane". What can I use for this? Is it the same as a "decoupling" material like Ditra? I just know that if I walk into Home...

Cleanest method of merging between tile & drywall/tile & tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there guys, I'm drywalling my tub enclosure, preparing for tile, and I've got two questions before I continue: 1) In the past, I've simply placed the rockboard/drywall line about two inches below the terminating line of tile. Is this the best way to handle this? Do you simply bevel the...

Heated floors [ 1 Answers ]

Have gutted my bathroom, would like to lose the steam radiator. Who knows if heated floors would keep room warm? What other options do I have now that room is completely gutted. Plan on using tile for the floor

Floors [ 2 Answers ]

I removed linolium from cement floors and want to use plain cement without any covering. There is a discoloring in spots due to the glue.what can i put on the cement to remove the glue??

View more questions Search