Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jesdiesel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 08:34 AM
    rafter damage/plywood vs boards
    I have a 70 yr old house. It's 500 sq feet and I'm replacing the roofing. I have many damaged rafters from termites. Do I remove the boards to fix the rafters? I have only 3-1/2 feet of space in the attic. Also, do I use the new plywood for the roof or do I use the 1 x 8 tongue and groove redwood as it has now? Please advise... help?? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
    First I would make sure that the termite infestation has been cured. Since there is extensive termite damage in the rafters, you might want to check the walls for similar damage to make sure that a complete tear down is not in order. If it can be repaired, pulling all the sheeting off the roof would make rafter replacement much easier. I think that plywood or OSB sheeting would be cheaper and easier to install than the 1x8 toungue and groove.
    jesdiesel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    First I would make sure that the termite infestation has been cured. Since there is extensive termite damage in the rafters, you might want to check the walls for similar damage to make sure that a complete tear down is not in order. If it can be repaired, pulling all the sheeting off the roof would make rafter replacement much easier. I think that plywood or OSB sheeting would be cheaper and easier to install than the 1x8 toungue and groove.
    Thank you for your answer. Now to see how bad the rafters are. Thanks, Jesdiesel
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 17, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Doesn't matter whether you use plywood or the 1 bys just as long as they are the same thickness,

The osb is 1/2 you'll most likely need 3/4

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Construction - Rafter Damage [ 2 Answers ]

Roofing repairs: A couple of the rafters have cracked. An inspector said the house was constructed with wood shingles and when the roof was changed to composition the rafter would not support the roof causing the cracks. How is this fixed and what is a ball park number for the repairs. I live...

Tiling over plywood [ 2 Answers ]

The bathroom floor to be tiled is 5/8" subfloor with 1/4" ply ontop screwed every 6 inches.Iam trying to convince carpenter that this does not meet code, nor is it a proper base for tiling. I want him to put down hardibacker (1/4") but he has convinced home-owners not necessary. What do I do?...

How to repair a rotted roof rafter? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a damaged roof rafter be replaced without removing roof decking and shingles?

Rafter square [ 1 Answers ]

I want to build an addition on my home and don't know how to use a rafter square to cut the rafters. This is a project I really want to do on my own but lack the expertise in figuring the cuts on a rafter. If someone has a simple but accurate way of using the square, I'd REALLY appreciate hearing...

View more questions Search