Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Mar 27, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Running mains on a PCB
    What rules govern running mains electricity (220v ac) on a printed circuit board?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 28, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Firstly, what are you trying to do? Who will be operating this device? A qualified user? Where is it to be used? What else connects to it? Will this be in a plastic box? Or a metal box? Will there be holes near the PCB? How big? Does it hang on the wall or sit on the desk? These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself.

Your main concern is safety - No fire hazard, no shock hazard, no excessive heat, no mechanical hazards, no radiation, no chemical hazards, etc.

There are several safety standards that govern the construction, such as UL/CSA 60950-1 for ITE, IEC 60065 for A/V devices, IEC 61010 for Measurement equipment.

One of the main rules is that the PCB needs a minimum flame rating of UL94-V0 (FV-0 in Europe).

Traces if they carry mains, needs to be a minimum width for the current they are intended to carry, so they don't open or melt in case of an overload or short-circuit condition.

The distance between traces (creepage) needs to be considered, based on type of PCB material, the place of installation, and other factors.

How do you determine the minimum creepage? Will now you need to refer to the appropriate standard for the type of product. For example, IEC 60950-1:2005 specifies Table 2N.

How do you determine if your construction is safe? Again you need the standard for guidance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New mains shower, reasonably new Combi-boiler, but hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I've recently had a new bathroom put in, with a mains shower (used to be electric). But now my shower keeps running hot-cold-hot-cold every minute or so. My bath tap and sink tap in the bathroom are running fine, it's just the shower. I was told this shouldn't happen as I have a combi-boiler but...

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

240V Halogen GU10 Mains on a 120V Circuit ? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently came across some GE 240V halogen bulbs in England, they are a GU10 type base and MR16 size/shape/type(?) bulb. They are not available in North America yet and having been available for some time in the UK and Europe, it doesn't look promising they will be on the market here anytime...

Mains electricity question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I live in spain where the electricity mains are 220V 50Hz. I live about 400 metres from town and have a cable which contains 2 wires with a diameter of 10 (not sure what the ten stands for) that runs to my house and delivers mains current. I supply the third ground wire at site with a...

View more questions Search