Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    razz222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 06:47 AM
    cathedral ceiling insulation
    G'day: I am winterizing our cottage and wish to preserve the interior appearance of the ceiling. Since our cedar shake roof is in need of replacement we are considering applying the insulation to the exterior prior to installing the new roofing material. I assume I will have to toenail new 2x4's or 2x6's to the existing rafters to begin. Can anyone give advice on the exact procedure - I checked on buildingscience.com with no success - thanks in advance - Jim
    jmc1324 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2009, 10:35 AM

WOW Jim that's a loaded question where to start?
    First will your existing roof be able to accept and carry the weight of a secondary framed roof over it? What type of existing roof framing is there? Stick framed with 2 x 6, 8, Or trussed?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 11:13 AM

This question has been asked for many years and the answer to the Best insulating hands down is Spray foam. Its about 3 times more then fiberglass insul but it has more R value then any other insul inch per inch.

That said I'm with Jmc1324 on the issues of scabbing a new roof over the old and the weight factor problem that may be here.
    Adding a 2x4 or 6by is not going to do much for adding space for any R value. Don't' know where this cottage is in Geo but 9" (R) 30+ is the norm for cold areas. Maybe rethink this on what you are going to gain out of the amount of work ratio. I use 2x12s on all vaulted ceilings when I stick build here to get the (R) value and the air space needed to vent the roof. Less roofs in dim width is shot with spray foam.

Of all the roof info available there is a reason why you can't find how to scab on a roof.
    jmc1324 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2009, 03:11 PM
    As for CODE: if built before the IRC code and only doing for personal energy savings any amount of insulation is better than none I do a lot of remodeling even though I would like to see the most insulation installed if the existing ceiling or roof is left intact no code official can enforce new codes...

If a dormer is added to the house / cottage that new roof must meet current codes not the existing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I shop for to get ceiling light on cathedral ceiling straight down? [ 11 Answers ]

I have a cathedral ceiling in a modualr home. Cheap ceiling fixtures I want to replace. Primarily, I dislike how the fixture is angled onto the cathedral ceiling. Are there fixtures that mount with the base onto the cathedral ceiling angle but then the part that hold the lightbulb can pivot so that...

Hanging ceiling fan on cathedral ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

How do you best hang a ceiling fan on a cathedral or valted ceiling. Are the kits available to box in the wires or to create a flat surface to hang fan?

Insulating cathedral ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

Ihave cathedral ceilings and need to insulate them. How much air space do I need to leave so I won't rot the plywood for my roof Kathy

Adding insulation to existing cathedral ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a cathedral ceiling with R-19 insulation plus a radiant barrier draped over the rafters. I would like to upgrade this to R-30, but this is a finished house. The only way I can think of adding insulation would be to either tear down all the ceilings, or take off all the shingles...

Cathedral ceiling insulation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm building a cabin in the woods up here in Alaska. This is my first time building something out of wood besides a tree fort. I'm a welder. Anyway my cabin dimension is 16' wide by 24' long with 10' walls. The roof pitch is 12x12 (heavy snow load). I built the roof with the idea of...

View more questions Search