Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ileslie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Sloping concrete slab?
    Hi,

I want to pour a 3' x 40' slab against one wall of my house as a rain runoff barrier. I have it set to slope 1.5" over the 3'. The wall of the house is stucco so I only have a frame around 3 sides (the outside and 2 ends). I have a chalk line on the stucco . Here is my problem/question. How can I make the concrete follow the chalk line? Sounds simple but I assume that the line will get smeared away. Has anyone dealt with this situation? If the slab had a frame on all 4 sides it would be fairly straightforward to use a straight edge to get the desired slope. I'm having the concrete brought in so there will not be a whole lot of time as compared to mixing it myself.

Ian
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 09:26 AM
    This is not the greatest solution to your problem and may cause new problems. You should not pour concrete up againist the stucco. There will not be a water tight seal and the two materials will move at different rates as the weather changes. You could have the 40' graded and put down a membrane that will deflect the water. If you are stuck on the concrete idea it will not be hard to get the concrete to follow the chalk line. You can trowel the concrete up to the chalk, its very elastic.
    ileslie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 09:53 AM
    ballengerb1 thanks for responding. My rain problem results from very hard rains driven by strong wind. So much water strikes the wall that the a hydrostatic head is built up and water works its way under the stucco and past the 2"x6" base beam that the walls are built on. This is a rare but unpleasant occurrence. The house floor is a slab as you probably have guessed. I was going to seal between the stucco and the slab with outdoor caulking. I do appreciate your comments about differential movement of the stucco and the concrete. Your cautions noted, I'll try the concrete route.
    wsnell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 03:41 PM
    Perhaps all you need to do is seal the stucco against the rain. This website offers products. Unfortunately I have not tried their products yet and can't offer further advice.

http://www.radonseal.com/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak Under Concrete Slab [ 3 Answers ]

I found out that I have a water leak under my slab floor. Apparantely the leak is between the shutoff out in the yard and the meter(which is located in the hallway utility closet). I hear water gurgling in my ductwork which is also in the slab. Called local plumber and he says I'm looking at...

Construction on concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a rather large garage (30' x 30') with a concrete slab floor. I want to build a laundry room and bathroom in one corner of the garage. Are there problems I may encounter in doing this?

Concrete slab on mud [ 2 Answers ]

Last week I had a local concrete company form and pour a monolithioc slab for a garage. The ground was soft top soil and I was concerned about it being soft. It did later compact an was very hard, but then it rained and was a big soupy mess. They came on out and covered it with plastic and poured...

Installing a bathtub on a concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a toilet in the basement with proper vent. I want to add a bathtub near the toilet. After I jackhammer up the concrete and install the tub trap and drainage into the toilet drain, how do I seal the floor under the tub? The outside part is open and it should be easy to pour concrete mix and...

View more questions Search