Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kaiserwillie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 05:28 PM
    Kitchen Drain Leaks
    My double sink backed up and I had to remove the pipes under the sink to clear the clog. I put every thing back together but both traps are leaking. I replaced the poly gaskets and lock nuts but still they leak. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to use any sealant or putty? The kid at Home Depot was no help at all. The pipes are PVC and look to be in good shape. The leak is coming out of the top locknut.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 8, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Hey Willie,
    It sure sounds like you got that top compression nut cross threaded. The threads are plastic and are easily crossed. Unscrew the nut and check the male threads for any sign of cross threading. Set the nut back squarely on the pipe and try again. No sealant's needed as all the threads do is compress the gasket, however, if you have it crossed the nut will not compress down far enough. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain only leaks when water is hot [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a bit of a problem here and I'm wondering if someone has some advice they could give me. I live in the upper unit of a condo that has upper and lower 2 story units. Our downstairs neighbour has noticed that when we shower she has a water leak in her unit. From the testing we've...

Washer leaks at drain [ 3 Answers ]

The drain pipe in the bottom rear of my washer leaked when I moved to clean floor behind it. When I removed clamp, about a quart of water flowed out which I guess means it did not drain completely. What should I do?

New shower drain leaks [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, looking for some expert plumbing advice... My new showewr drain leaks around the exterior of the drain between the grout and the drain itself. I have torn out the tiles around the drain and now need to seal the drain to the floor and seal it up to the tiles to prevent the leakage. (does...

Standing Shower Drain Leaks [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I read few articles about how to fix the shower drain leaks. I guess some experts suggested to use WingTite. I think the rubber gasket and the threaded top cover is what is causing the leak. The threaded holder seems a bit bigger than the hole of the shower drain itself and I don't know how...

Kitchen drain [ 1 Answers ]

I've developed a leak in the kitchen drain. Naturally, it's behind sheetrock and insulation so I had to remove that. I've been told that the problem may have been caused by the use of black ABS pipe instead of PVC. Since this drain serves my dishwasher as well as the sink, it must handle water that...

View more questions Search