Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Jan 25, 2007, 07:13 PM
    replacing windows in load bearing wall.
    Hello - I am in the process of replacing all of the windows in my house, a few at a time. I am replacing the entire windows, casing and all, i.e. taking the existing windows out down to the rough opening. My contractor came out to measure the existing windows along with the marvin window guy so they would know what to order. One of the windows to me looks like two separate windows, however both the contractor and Marvin guy said it was really one long window with a piece of moulding between on the inside to make it look like two. I questioned them, but they said they could tell it was reallty one large window, so I did not pursue it further. Marvin made the windows to fit the rough openings. They are coming out Friday (tomorrow) to remove the old and install the new windows, so I pulled off all the interior moulding tonight to get ready. Guess what - two windows where they were positive it was one. The moulding was covering a stud, not empty space as they thought.

I am of the belief that in this situation there are two things the contractor can do. One is to return the one large window and order 2 separate. The other is to redo the header above both windows to be one large header (roughly 8 foot long). Of course option two requires sheetrock removal and replacement and a lot more work. I believe just using the window as is (which requires cutting out the stud) would negatively affect the loadbearing nature of the current setup. Is this true? I want to make sure that if the contractor says they will cut the stud to fit the window, I want to know enough to tell them that is wrong and they have to order new windows or redo the header correctly.

If they redo the header, I assume to span an 8 foot length, I would need at least 2 2x8s nailed together to span the distance. Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrlook
    Hello - I am in the process of replacing all of the windows in my house, a few at a time. I am replacing the entire windows, casing and all, i.e. taking the existing windows out down to the rough opening. My contractor came out to measure the existing windows along with the marvin window guy so they would know what to order. One of the windows to me looks like two seperate windows, however both the contractor and Marvin guy said it was really one long window with a piece of moulding inbetween on the inside to make it look like two. I questioned them, but they said they could tell it was reallty one large window, so I did not pursue it further. Marvin made the windows to fit the rough openings. They are coming out friday (tomorrow) to remove the old and install the new windows, so I pulled off all the interior moulding tonight to get ready. Guess what - two windows where they were positive it was one. The moulding was covering a stud, not empty space as they thought.

I am of the belief that in this situation there are two things the contractor can do. One is to return the one large window and order 2 seperate. The other is to redo the header above both windows to be one large header (roughly 8 foot long). Of course option two requires sheetrock removal and replacement and a lot more work. I believe just using the window as is (which requires cutting out the stud) would negatively affect the loadbearing nature of the current setup. Is this true? I want to make sure that if the contractor says they will cut the stud to fit the window, I want to know enough to tell them that is wrong and they have to order new windows or redo the header correctly.

If they redo the header, I assume to span an 8 foot length, I would need at least 2 2x8s nailed together to span the distance. Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Rob
    an eight foot span may be OK with two two by eights, but are you sure the original header does not span the entire opening . Usually that is the way a house is built and that 2x4 is only to stabilize the mullion area. There actually may be no problem.

Jan 25, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwptsailor
    an eight foot span may be ok with two two by eights, but are you sure the original header does not span the entire opening . Usually that is the way a house is built and that 2x4 is only to stabilize the mullion area. There actually may be no problem.
    I was not aware that that is actually how that is normally done. I just assumed that since it is two windows, then it probably has a separate header over each window. Thank's for letting me know this. At this point I guess I will have the contractor remove the old windows if that is what he thinks he should do at which point I will be able to see what is over the windows and if it is in fact one header.

Thanks for the reply!
    Rob
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 08:10 PM
    I would some way make sure that you had at least two 2X8's with a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood between them. One way to test what size headers you have is to use a small nail, measure up eight inches and drive the nail into the sheetrock, if you hit wood that means you have at least 8 inches, dorp down an inch and do it again to check for smaller headers. I would do this several places along the 8 foot width.
    I think that you have a header completely across the span, because if they were going to frame it like two windows it would not be just a 2X4 stiff leg in the middle but a 2X4 with a cripple on each side of the 2X4 to hold up the individual headers.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 08:48 PM
    I agree that likely the original header was meant to span the whole 8'. I would take a utility knife and cut a chunk of drywall off between the top of the rough opening and where the molding covered about 6'' long in the middle. If what you find is solid wood with no joints, relax, that 2x4 was just meant to anchor the 2 windows to. Two separate headers would have each needed 2 2x4's to support the ends, not one.

Jan 27, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Thanks everyone for your replies. As suggested, there was a header across the entire span of two windows, and the one 2X4 was just to provide a nailing surface for thr two windows. In fact, the bottom of the header did not even rest on the 2x4 - there was about a 1/4 inch gap. Obviously not load bearing :-)

Well, the windows are in now. What do you all recommend for insulation around the jam. I believe the typical choices are fiberglass insulation or foam. Is one better than the other. I know foam is more expensive, but it is only a few windows, so cost is not of concern.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 27, 2007, 09:09 AM
    The spray in foam is highly effective. There is a type which is formulated to expand minimally. That way is does not pressure the door / window jambs and thus distort the unit . Get that type , it'll say right on the can " for windows & doors" .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Load Bearing wall Q [ 7 Answers ]

What size header will I need to replace a wall that is on the second floor with one floor above, span is 81"? TIA

Load Bearing Walls [ 1 Answers ]

I am confused about what are the joist and not the joists in my basement. It is a 100 year old house. I have one main bean that runs front to back (supported by columns- the kind with a large cement bottom you might see when building a deck, the term is escaping me at this moment- in basement)...

Removing load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

What size header will I need to replace a wall that is in basement, one floor above, span is 10' 0"? Wall is load bearing.

Load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 floor house that the 2nd flr is sagging. I have opened the ceiling under the sag and there's 3 2x8 nailed together as a header.my question the 2x8 header is appx 13 feet long is this to long for this size header or do I have another problem?

Load bearing walls [ 1 Answers ]

When replacing a load bearing wall what size lumber do I need to support a second story floor when the opening is 16ft. This wall is in the center of the house which is 24ft wide

View more questions Search