Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JuliaBBB Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Noise inside the wall after I close my faucet
    My house is 1.5 year old. After I shut down the faucet of the second floor bathroom, a noise in my bathroom wall or floor will start in a few minutes, and continue very long time, maybe an hour or even longer. This noise is not continuous, it stops and starts around 3 to 5 minutes. Then stops after an hour. Also, it is not always happened. I feel if I use lots of water, the noise won't show up, if I use less water, the noise will show up.

This noise is sounds like plumbing expansion and contraction. Strange thing is, this starts after I close the faucet around 5 minutes, normally not start immediately. And the noise is not continuous.

I had the noise of Pipe expansion and contraction problem after I got my house. The builder sent the plumber to repair 2 times. After they repair in the first times, the noise sounds better and goes away. But after a few month, the noise comes back again. Second time, they add the expansion joint to my main drain pipe. After that, I felt I got the noise problem I mention here.

I confused why more water I use, less noise I get; less water I use such as flush the toilet, more noise I get.

I will be appreciated if I can get some ideas or suggestions.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 08:15 PM

This sounds like a case of expansion and contraction. As the pipe heats it expands and it is probably making the noise but you do not hear it because of the water flow but after you turn the water off you can hear it contracting because the water flow noise is gone. It takes a lot longer for the noise to go away than it does for it to start. In other words the pipe expands quickly and contracts slowly.

If you can get to any of the pipes to maybe see where they might be squeaking but can get to them to enlarge then holes in the plates and studs, you might spray them with silicon to stop the noise.

If this helps let me know.
    JuliaBBB Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    This sounds like a case of expansion and contraction. as the pipe heats it expands and it is probably making the noise but you do not hear it because of the water flow but after you turn the water off you can hear it contracting because the water flow noise is gone. It takes a lot longer for the noise to go away than it does for it to start. In other words the pipe expands quickly and contracts slowly.

If you can get to any of the pipes to maybe see where they might be squeaking but can get to them to enlarge then holes in the plates and studs, you might spray them with silicon to stop the noise.

If this helps let me know.
    Thanks for your answer.

I just wondering if it is expansion and contraction, why it is not continuous making noise. Noise normally start after 5 minutes I shut off the faucet, and make sounds such as "TA", or "KA" around 3 to 5 minutes each. Also, more water I use, less noise I get. So confused.:rolleyes:

When I first had this problem, the noise was continuous. Now, it is not.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 08:48 PM

When the pipe moves it is hard to say what kind of noise it is going to make. The pipe will cool faster or slower in different conditions, cool weather will make it cool faster and probably will make the pipe move faster and the noise louder.

These are all just a guess because all cases are different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Popping noise inside the wall [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, I seemed to be the same problem in my house. My house is 1.5 year old. On my second floor, I can hear the Popping noise from inside wall of my master bedroom sometimes. It is hard to trace where the popping noise is because it is in different place every times. I asked the builder when I...

Help! Toilet Too Close To Wall! [ 3 Answers ]

The toilet in our upstairs bathroom has been installed too cose to the wall. The lid to the bowl won't even go on completely because there is not any clearance between the back of the tank and the wall. I measured from the closet bolts (?) to the wall and it measured 11 1/2". What are my options...

Toilet tank too close to wall [ 4 Answers ]

The toilets were installed too close to the walls. The toilet tanks are right against the wall and there hasn't been a problem. However, now one of the tanks has started to do a slow drip. Is there an offset toilet with a tank or something I can do other than chipping out the slab ?

My toilet is too close to the wall [ 6 Answers ]

The people who built my house put the drain hole for my toilet too close to the wall. It is at a 11 1/2" So it is so close that it molds behind it and I cannot clean behind it.. Should I buy a new toilet to put some space between the wall and toilet or just leave it the way it is? I suppose I...

Toilet to close to wall [ 7 Answers ]

I'm in the process of the replacing the toilet in a basement bathroom. The new toilet will not fit because the center of the flange is only 9 1/2 inches from the wall, rather than twelve. I broke all the concrete around the pipe. It is cast iron. What is the best way to move the flange 2 1/2...

View more questions Search