virtually every web page visited shows: (not responding)

Asked Aug 19, 2008, 04:56 PM 15 Answers
    Hi all,
    For the past 2 weeks I have been having real problems. I am wondering if I have a virus or something?
    Firstly, the PC runs fine for around 2 or 3 minutes then it slows right down and loading pages seems to take a minute or so between pages.
    The next thing that happens is the large timer comes up followed by the message "( Not Responding)"
    When I press the cross to cancel the web page it then takes of all others that are on the task bar.

Can anyone help please.
    Cheers
    Richard.
    PS I have tried 2 system restarts but to no avail.

Last edited by cornedbeef; Aug 19, 2008 at 05:05 PM.
    seahwk83's Avatar
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212

#2

Aug 19, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.

Check your startup to see if any odd apps may be starting with windows.
    Start, run, type msconfig and go to startup tab - anything look odd or do not know what it is?
    KISS's Avatar
    KISS Posts: 12,505, Reputation: 838

#3

Aug 19, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Look at the process list and she which process is using all the CPU time. There is an issue where the indexing process goes nuts at times.
    seahwk83's Avatar
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212

#4

Aug 19, 2008, 07:51 PM
    As mentioned, check your processes in taskmgr to see if something may be running not sure about

Are you using a firewall or a new feature/add-on for your browser perhaps installed recently?

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started

You can also check what add-ons may be in use with your browser

Click on tools and then go to Manage add-ons and click Enable/disable add-ons
    -highlight Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer
    -Look through the list and again see if something looks odd or you do not know what it may be used for under the enabled section of the view

Also check your add remove programs in control panel to see if there may be something installed that you are/were not aware of
    cogs's Avatar
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 26

#5

Aug 20, 2008, 08:16 PM
    What connection do you have, lan, dsl, cable, router, dialup, etc?
    cornedbeef's Avatar
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

#6

Aug 21, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Hi Cogs,
    I have a cable connection.
    Cheers
    cornedbeef's Avatar
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

#7

Aug 21, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Another thing I have noticed is that, often, when I have several pages on the go, the Yahoo mail page keeps loading it self in priority over the others. When I X the page it takes all the others down with it. I then have to start Firefox again.
    Could there be a problem,i.e a virus within Yahoo?
    seahwk83's Avatar
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212

#8

Aug 21, 2008, 08:59 AM
    What was mentioned above about CPU usage

Right click on taskbar and click task mgr, now look at the processes tab and look for any programs there running that may look unfamiliar to you - if not sure about any and you can always post them here

On the right side you will see Mem Usage - see which few programs are taking up the most memory
    cogs's Avatar
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 26

#9

Aug 21, 2008, 03:28 PM
    OK cornedbeef... Yahoo is aggressive by trying to bring it to the front, so that's normal. On a cable connection, sometimes you get lags. Also, if you're not on a work network, but on a personal computer, then you can try this:
    Start/run/type 'cmd'/type 'ipconfig /flushdns'
    (without the quotes '', and you need to type that last/ before flushdns, cause it's a switch)
    This will clear your dns cache. By the way, good job using Firefox.
    cornedbeef's Avatar
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

#10

Aug 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
    I have typed "cmd/ipconfig/flushdns" but it is not recognized.

Shower has virtually no pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I hope someone can help, as my plumbing knowledge is not so hot. I have a relatively modern bathroom, but this morning it all seemed to go wrong. The shower (normally quite powerful), had no oomph. Then aftwer about a minute it gave up completely, with nothing coming out. I checked the...

Page linknot responding [ 2 Answers ]

When on the Web Site: IFILM, I click on an item to be played, there is no response :-[as it usually is. In stead I receive an error message that says PAGE ERROR. The details say something about Java Script. What is wrong? IFILM help was no Help. Charles