Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brett2013 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2011, 10:20 PM
    Sub Panel in detached garage
    Try as I may, I keep coming up with different answers. Help.

I'm putting a sub panel in a new detached garage.
    There is no phone, water, gas, etc to the garage. Only the electric for the following:
    2-20 amp circuits for receptacles, 1-15 amp circuit for lighting, and 1-15 amp for a garage door opener. Nothing else will go in.

I bought a 60 amp sub panel with 4 slots (no main, just 4 slots).

I was planning to run this from a double 50 amp breaker in my 150 Amp main panel.
    Total distance from main to sub is 55-60 feet, buried in pvc conduit.

I was going to pull 4-#8 thhn, one being the ground and set two 8' grounding rods 6' apart at the garage.

I'm in Calaveras County, California.

Questions are:
    Anything in this not look proper for current code?

Can I use #6 THNN or stranded cable for the grounding rods? I can strip it bare, or does it need to be solid wire or a different gauge?

Also, does the ground wire in the conduit need to be #8 also?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2011, 04:28 AM
    Yes, #6 is the minimum size to use, you do not need to strip the length of it, you do not need conduit unless it is on a wall and can be damaged.

You can get away with 3 #8 THHN/THWN and one #10 THHn green for the equipment ground.

Be sure your THHN is also rated THWN, which most is dual rated.

THHN only cannot be installed in a buried conduit as that is a wet location. THWN is rated for wet locations.

Otherwise you plan is fine.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 12, 2011, 06:04 AM
    Please remember to keep the Neutral bus and the ground bus isolated from each other at the garage panelboard.

Also, you cannot put both Neutral and Ground wires on the same bus bar.
    brett2013 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2011, 06:48 AM
    I'll keep the ground and neutral separate in the sub panel. I bought a separate ground bus to go in the panel, No bonding.

Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a detached garage [ 5 Answers ]

I am building a detached garage 300' feet from my home and main breaker panels. The meter is out by the road right of way 450' from the home. The garage is going to sit somewhere in the middle about 150' down the hill. Rather than tap into the house panel I'd like to come right off the meter at the...

Detached garage sub-panel [ 4 Answers ]

First I want to thank those who have given such good advice on this forum. I have a 900sqft detached garage. I am installing a 125amp sub-panel. I plan to install a 100amp main in this panel. The house is 100ft away. My plan is to run 2" PVC sched 80 conduit from the house to the garage. ...

Detached garage pad [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to get some information on building a garage starting with the Pad. I am planning on building a 22X26 detached garage. The rough grade was completed about 4 months ago. It is a clay base with no topsoil added yet. Should I get a bobcat in to remove a couple inches or just pack down...

Detached garage panel install, please help [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am running 8-3 underground in pvc conduit and am wondering: 1. How high up the garage wall I should come up before entering the garage (I guess this means how high the panel will be on the inside as well)? Any code for this or is whatever height is comfortable good enough? 2. Also, I...

View more questions Search