Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Nov 20, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Splitting internet signal for 2 computers.
    We have a D-Link Router that has ran out spaces. ( only has 4 ports) I was wondering if it is possile to simply split one if the lines into 2. A few years back, before I got the D-Link, my friend loaned me a Hub with 4 ports. It worked fine. So, besides another or bigger router, is there any simple way to do this. Its only for short periods, say when the computers are on and I want to play PS3 online..?
    olivesandtrees Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2008, 12:13 PM

All you have to do is install a 10/100 switch. Run a CAT5 or CAT6 (if you are using an old switch you may have to use a cross-over cable but almost all modern devices have auto sensing which let you use straight-through cables with no problems) cable from a port on the router to a port on switch - nothing to it.

It's usually better to run all your systems off the switch instead of the router so even if your low-end router freezes (which they love to do) all your internal systems can still communicate.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 12:16 PM

One port of a switch can be UPLINK. If they are auto-mdx (sp) then it doesn't matter.

And I agree to use a switch with enough ports to support your network with 1 reserved for the uplink.

An 8 port switch woud be able to support 7 devices and 1 uplink.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2008, 01:14 PM

You can use a hub instead of a switch, but I wouldn't recommend it. It will slow down your network.

But the idea is to daisy chain the hub/switch to the uplink port on the router.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 04:47 PM

Uplink port of the hub/switch unless it's auto mdx to the LAN port of the router.

Nov 20, 2008, 04:54 PM

How much does a switch usually cost?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2008, 04:58 PM

A 5 port switch costs about $25.

Newegg.com - LINKSYS EZXS55W 10/100Mbps Workgroup Switch 5 x RJ45 - Switches

D-Link - 5-Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch - DES-1105

Bestbuy also had the same Linksys switch for $24.99
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 05:05 PM

But I think he should get an 8 port switch.

Nov 20, 2008, 05:08 PM

Sounds easy, thanks everyone... MAybe I go for the 8 banger...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connected computers can't access internet. [ 14 Answers ]

Had Netgear wgt 624 network with 3 computers working, but had to reinstall XP on the server and the connected computers stopped connecting. The server still connects through the router. Their connection wizards show a strong signal received from the router, but attempts to connect to the internet...

Splitting an RCA signal [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I hope this is in the right place. A little information about what I am trying to do: I have three televisions and about a half dozen video game systems. The televisions sit right next to one another, and the systems will be on a rack (right now they are under the televisions). ...

Connecting 2 computers with 1 internet connection. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 computers running on XP home and I have an internet broadband connection, I want to connect both computers to this connection as my first PC is already connected with DSL modem. Also I want to share my hard drives so I can access files on any of them. Please help me to setup this and with...

Compaq computers/no signal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer that Do you think it is the moniter or some other problem?:confused: :confused:

View more questions Search