Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Nov 16, 2008, 07:29 PM
    CCleaner Deleting Favicons
    First off, I love CCleaner. I have loaded it on both of my desktops and no problems. Works fantastic!

Just loaded it on my laptop, and noticed after a "cleaning" with CCleaner, it deletes all my Favicons on the shortcuts on my desktop to websites at reboot.

After a few hours of trail and error I discovered that it is in the Cleaner Section, Windows Tab, Internet Explorer group. If I turn of BOTH Temporary Internet Files AND Delete Index.dat files, the problem goes away. If EITHER one gets cleaned, it deletes the favicons.

I have my laptop set up exactly the same way as my desktops, and all have XP.

Obviously, I want to clean my Temporary Internet Files often, so this is a problem.

It I go into IE Tools > Delete Browsing History > Temporary Internet Files, it does the same thing on the laptop only.

It does not affect any manually assigned internet shortcut icons.

Any ideas what's happening here, and why it's only affecting my laptop?

Thanks...

Nov 17, 2008, 08:14 AM

Additionally, I have learned (since 1st post) that Favicons are stored in Temporary Internet Files. Which explains why they might disappear when using CCleaner.

BTW, These files can be viewed by:
    Open Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > General Tab > Browsing History Section > Settings Button > View Files

BUT, again, I can delete these temp internet files on my 2 desktops, and the Favicons do not disappear from my desktop shortcuts or my IE7 Favorites list. Only on my laptop.

Makes no sense to me. Seems like the Favicon files might also be stored somewhere else?? But why only on the desktops and not the laptop?

Nov 17, 2008, 04:13 PM

Workaround to problem of disappearing Favicons:

Although I still do not understand why my 2 desktops maintain the favicons on the desktop shortcuts after deleting the temporary internet files, I did find a solution for my laptop which does delete them.

Basically you can simply copy the favicon from the temporary internet files folder, rename it, and paste it into a new folder. Then manually assign the icon to the shortcut. This makes it immune from temp file cleaning.
    It works just fine.

Microsoft Internet Explorer: Missing Icon, internet exploere 7, temporary internet files
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Much ado about nothing really, the favicons show up on the next visit. Good way to find out how often you visit a site.

Also don't forget that the internet cache flushes itself as it reaches its max size.

Nov 17, 2008, 05:33 PM

Thanks NK...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CCleaner Registry Cleaner [ 15 Answers ]

I have been using CCleaner since someone recommended it on this site about a week ago. I've primarily used it for Registry Cleaning. In the Registry section, under Registry Integrity, there are 13 choices of things for CCleaner to check. By default, they are all checked. I have no idea what...

CCleaner v. 2.08.588 [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone who has downloaded this version of CCleaner had any problems with it that I should be aware about before I download it for my neighbor?:rolleyes:

CCleaner Updates: Do I need it? [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed CCleaner software on my computer for a while now and it's working perfectly fine. It helps a lot to get rid of issues in the registry and also to clean my computer. However, I was asked whether I would like to download the latest updates for CCleaner and, since everything is...

Using ccleaner [ 3 Answers ]

I just recently installed cc cleaner and noticed that there isn't a backup section in case this deletes or uninstalls something that is needed so I was wondering. When I use the cleaner to clean my machine does it uninstall or delete things that might be needed or hurt my computer or just useless...

View more questions Search