Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Nov 10, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Hidden Icons in System Tray
    I am running XP Home SP3 and have an icon in the system tray I wish to hide. (It is the unplugged LAN icon which I never use.)

The process I use is as follows: Right click on Start button > Properties > Taskbar Tab > Customize button. Under "Current Names": Select Local Area Network and switch (with drop down menu) from "hide when inactive" to "always hide". OK > Apply > OK

This does the trick.

Problem: When I reboot, it reverts back to "hide when inactive".

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 08:30 AM

Nope. You need to go to: Start>Control Panel>Network Connections, find the local area connection, right-click on it and select Properties. Uncheck the "Show icon ...." at the bottom of that dialog box.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 10, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Simply disabling that network connection in the networking window, then it will never give you that error again.
    BUT you do need to remember to re-enable it when you want to use it ;)

Nov 10, 2008, 01:15 PM

CB,

That's exactly the reason I didn't do that. In 2 years when I plug in a network cable, I'll be going nuts trying to figure out why it's not working.

I'm just wondering why Windows won't remember my taskbar setting.

Thank you both...

Nov 10, 2008, 01:34 PM
    NK,

I tried your suggestion, but the icon is still in the system tray.

Is it possible that this checkmark controls the "balloon tip", and not the icon?

Msc
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 04:16 PM

Nope, it controls the icon. Make sure you selected the correct icon in the Network Connections.

Nov 10, 2008, 07:10 PM

NK,

I double checked. I have the correct network icon.

I have 2 choices of check boxes:

1) Show icon in notification area when connected (which has always been unchecked)

2) Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity (which has always been checked)

If you are referring to selection #1, it sounds like it will do the opposite of what I want.

My LAN cable is always disconnected as I use a wireless router, and I want to get rid of the "Disconnected" Icon (the one with the 2 mini-PCs and the big annoying red X).

Am I misinterpreting something here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computers--dell vostro 200-recalling hidden icons or shortcuts [ 3 Answers ]

How do I recall hidden icons on my new Dell vostro 200?

Pop ups and hidden icons. [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir: Please teach me the procedure on How to get rid of the hidden icon on my informational bar on my computer screen. They keep asking me to buy their spyware products. They are pop up constantly telling me my computer is infected with virus. Any solution beside initial the hard drive. ...

XP System Tray errors [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I boot up my computer, about half the time the programs I have designated to start in the system tray don't appear. I have gone into "msconfig" and have cut down to the bare minimum (anti-virus, firewall, video-card program, etc), and it didn't really help much, as it still continues. ...

Hidden Icons & Taskbar [ 6 Answers ]

My students have hidden the taskar and all windows icons. Even when pressing the windows key I cannot see the taskbar. Please help

View more questions Search