Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwyndhamdwyndham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2005, 06:29 AM
    Very Slow Computer
    For a fairly long time now my computer has been extremely slow, booting up takes about Ten minutes, when I open and shut programs everything slows down nearly to a holt and I have to leave and come back, starting most programs takes a while and opening too many explorer windows slows everything down too much. But once a program eventually opens everything runs smoothly and perfectly. Ive compared to other supposedly 'inferiour' computers and they are so much faster at processing.
    I use XP, Trend Micro, and Microsoft Antispyware
    Everything is always updated and scanned every week, nothing seems to make a difference.
    The processes are all very low mem usage, 11 under 100k, 11 more up to 1000k
    And the big ones are taskmgr 4140k and Firefox 26336k (using now)
    Pccpfw.exe 1364k
    Explorer 6604k
    GcasDtServ.exe 3480K (user)
    Svchost.exe 2996k(system)
    Msnmsgr.exe 1168k
    Svchost.exe 1244k (network service)
    GcasDtServ.exe 2384k
    Csrss.exe 1672k

Please
    Is there any thing I should be checking
    Is there anything Im missing
    What should I do
    Any Help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    Dave
    :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2005, 08:44 AM
    First to mind comes Defragmenting, and checking your startup files at Run > msconfig.

If you haven't done this before, check each item you're not familiar with at
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php before unchecking them.

I'm crossin' my fingers for you!
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Aug 23, 2005, 09:50 AM
    Hey that's a very helpful site... thanks for posting it.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Slow
    Hi,
    Others mentioned Defrag. I would do it first, in Safe Mode.
    Then, download/install the following great, free, cleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com

This cleaner cleans out cookies (that you don't want to keep), history, URL's, temp file junk, and other junk files. It does a better job of cleaning than Windows.

Then, I would go to Start/Run and type in MSCONFIG, then click on OK
    Click on the StartUp tab at top right of that window.
    Then, look to the left, scrolling down, and seeing all the programs that start running when you boot up the computer.
    You really don't need those referring to "auto update", and may be some more.
    Left click on what you don't want starting up, to remove the checkmark, then click on Apply, then OK, and re-boot.
    If you have unchecked something you really need, you can always go back and put a checkmark by it.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow computer [ 8 Answers ]

What causes the computer to be so slow or sluggish in return responses? It seems like it takes forever to go from 1 website to another or between links within the site.

Computer running verrryyy SLOW [ 1 Answers ]

I have windows XP & Until a week ago everything was FINE. Then all of a sudden my computer would freeze on me and totally lock up. :mad: I ran a driver update and updated all my drivers that had better updated drivers. It did stop freezing up, but it is slower than EVER and I have high speed...

Computer running very slow [ 2 Answers ]

Ive already run all the major Spyware checkers and found nothing using Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy. Also ran the scan within the latest ZoneAlarm and TrendMicro Anti-Virus. Here is my Hijack log. Computer is only 3 months old 3.0 Ghz. ...

Computer runs really slow [ 8 Answers ]

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0 Scan saved at 6:55:14 PM, on 2/19/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe...

Computer is slow and other problems... [ 2 Answers ]

Well ever since a couple days ago my PC has been running slow, like something is stressing it out. Like, when I go on AOL Instant Messenger before the program starts up its memory usage (from task manager) is 5,000 then when it connects and it fully started up its memory usage is like 29,000! And...

View more questions Search