Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkatbridge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 09:58 PM
    What does loud, drumming sound coming from wall behind bathroom sink with knocking.
    What does a loud, rolling drumming sound coming from behind the wall of the bathroom sink mean? This noise was accompanied by knocking and vibrations. The water from the toilet also splashed up. No one was in the bathroom and no one had been using any water in the house at the time. Any ideas?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 07:27 PM

Turn off the toilet stop valve and see if noise continues. In the mean time tell what you mean by:
    The water from the toilet also splashed up.
    jkatbridge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 08:22 PM
    We didn't actually see the water splashing up, but when we stepped into the bathroom, there was quite a bit of water on the floor surrounding the toilet and on the toilet's open lid. We are assuming that some water - clear water - from the toilet must have shot up. There was also a very musky smell. It was very strange. The sound, also very strange, has since stopped, but we are wondering what caused it and if it can be prevented from occurring again. Thank you.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 09:41 PM

Remove tank lid and check that the little tube from the fill valve to the overflow pipe is in place. It should be attach to the top of the overflow pipe.

If water appears to have come from the bowl, that would indicate a possible blocked vent pipe. A blocked vent might force air out the sewer pipe through the toilet. That however would require water to have been used somewhere in the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud knocking coming from flushing toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Every time I flush one of my toilets, a loud knocking sound comes from inside the tank. You can hear it all over the house. It is particularly bad when there is water running in another part of the house. Before it would just happen when there was water running somewhere else, but now it happens...

Drumming sound coming from the bathroom drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Help please! I installed a new sink in my bathroom and I changed part of the PVC drain pipe so it would fit the new sink. The problem that I'm having is when I drain the water from the sink it make a drumming sound at the end. Can someone help? Thanks, menatwork.

Kenmore Stackable Washer making loud knocking sound [ 1 Answers ]

We have a stackable Kenmore washer & dryer and the washer makes a loud knocking sound during the spin cycle... unit is level & clothes are level in the washer.

Loud Knocking Sound [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came across this site while doing a quick search on "loud knocking sound coming from pipes" I have read Tom's responses and feel like I know what is occurring, but a little reassurance never hurts. Here is the situation. I live in a newly built home, 11 months to be exact, and...

Knocking sound behind wall [ 3 Answers ]

I just had my master bathroom and main bathroom completely remodeled. This included all new plumbing from the cold and hot water source downstairs because we also had all the walls open. I now hear a periodic knocking sound when the toilet or main shower is running. Also when you should the water...

View more questions Search