Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murshyblues Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
    virus in computer
    My brother has a gateway laptop computer, and it has a virus, I don't know how to clean it out. Is there any software that I can use to get ride of the virus? What can I do to get the virus out!

Thanks
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Feb 14, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Have him boot up in safe mode, then run this program:

Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan - Trend Micro USA
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 04:25 PM
    I really want you to get your computer cleaned up -- Run scans and save reports

Online Scan
    BitDefender Online Scanner - Free Online Virus Scan

Online Scan
    ewido - anti-spyware and anti-malware solutions

AVG AVG Free Advisor - Installation files & documentation

SPYBOT
    Spybot - Search & Destroy - Reviews and free Spybot - Search & Destroy downloads at Download.com

SpyBlaster
    SpywareBlaster download and review - disable spyware ActiveX controls from SnapFiles

Run scans in Safe Mode with networking -- Scanning takes a long time - start it and let it complete the job

Copy and paste info in Note Pad for future reference -- Maybe you can help someone else someday
    crysis Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Feb 16, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Some times u can get rid of a virus with a system restore but to be honest it hardly ever total gets rid of it and also hackers normaly make it so the virus infects the system restore so u can't even give it a try.

NOD32 works for me
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 07:40 AM
    If the virus has be inserted as data, System Restore will do nothing for you. System does not go near data files.

Best suggestion is to get a virus and spyware downloaded t a CD. On that allows autorun.inf or set the PC to boot off the CD.

You don't want to use code on your disk to clean your disk.

With Verizon, McAfee and Norton, they allow you to tie to their web site and run a virus and spyware scanners from their. What are you using on your PC.

Also, test whether your brother's computer will allow you to log on to one of these services. If they will or you have an ID with them then scan from the remote site and clean it up that way.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Norton has a free scanner without their product or logging in.

Best PC Protection - Computer Security Tools - Norton

Can't give a direct link because it's a popup box. But to the right, under Resources, second on the list is a free scan, and it'll also analyze how vulnerable it thinks your computer is. (Of course, in the long run, they want you to buy their products, but it might give you some useful info.)

Don't know how this compares to some other stuff, but about 3 years ago when I got a backdoor trojan and then got attacked by everything else before I knew what was going on, this thing found a bunch of stuff that the installed AV didn't. And it also had instructions for removal and occasionally a free removal tool.

Once you hopefully get this taken care of, get an AV running all the time, plus spyware. (I personally use Avast and Spybot. I don't actually like Norton but the online thing worked pretty well.)
    tweedg Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Please use the AVG software that biggsie recommended. I have used it for years and I swear by it. Stay away from Mcvee and norton virus scans because all virus hackers live for trying to defeat them. Plus AVG is 100% free no catches.
    murshyblues Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Thanks guys for the help, but I tried and it didn't work so I'm going to take it to a computer repair shop

Thanks for the help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virus on computer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I delete viruses on my computer?

I think I have a Computer virus but it won't go away. [ 9 Answers ]

I've just recently gotten a virus (I'll call it a virus because I don't know all of the terms to use). Every time I run a scan with ad-aware (SE personal), I find new cirtical objects. I've tried keeping them in quarentine, and also deleting the quarentine file. Every time I turn my computer back...

A networt virus is attacking my computer-What do I do? [ 2 Answers ]

What do I do and who do I contact?

Computer Virus [ 4 Answers ]

I have a trojan on my PC called generic.cd it is in the file icc.dll in Windows. I am using McAfee anti virus software. The trojan cannot be cleaned and the file cannot be deleted. I have quarantened the trojan but when I rescan the PC it has returned. I tried the McAfee online help but without...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search