Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HauntedWolf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 06:09 PM
    1935A, 1928A and 1957 Silver Certificates
    Hello, I'm new here and I have recently acquired the above mentioned Silver Certificates, and was wondering approximately what they would be worth. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1928 A $1 bill:
    N.O. Woods, Treasurer
    A. W. Mellon, Sec'y of Treasury
    Blue seal
    Seerial #: I 50637186 A (in blue)
    F 362
    Under Washington's pic: "One Silver Dollar payable to the bearer on demand"
    Obverse:
    ONE in lg. caps. With ONE DOLLAR running through the center of it

1935 A $1 Silver Certificate:
    M.A. (unsure) Treasurer
    Henry Morgenthau, Jr. Sec'y of Treasury
    Red seal
    Serial #: S 53351114 C (in red)
    B 5473
    Stamped Hawaii
    Obverse:
    Close to the current $1 bill, but as HAWAII stamped through the back

1957 $1 Silver Certificate:
    Gary (?) Belton Priest, Treasurer
    Robert B. Anderson, Sec'y of Treasury
    Blue Seal
    Serial #: S 02741226 A (in blue)
    B 475
    Obverse: same as 1935 series

I also have a glass negative with a pic of my dad in his navy whites... the envelope is stamped on the inside with Mori Photographic Studio, Front of Central Post Office, and Japanese characters. The front of the envelope is stamped with Japanese characters and 251. Can anyone help me out with this as well?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Hauntedwolf - Here is a little extra about the ( 1935A silver certificate) you have in question , FIRST.
    AS an economic defense precaution against Japanese invasion and occupatioon of HAWAII, specially marked US currency was issued there in JULY of 1942, to replace other types in circulation. Distinguished by brown seal and serial numbers , and by " HAWAII " overprints on face and back, such notes could have been declared worthlessin the event large numbers of them were captured.
    The 1$ notes used as emergency currency were SILVER CERTIFICATES OF series 1935A , while $5s$10s, and $20s were overprinted examples of SAN FRANCISCO -DISTRIC FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES : The $5s in 1934 series and 34A , the $10s in series 34A only, and the $20s in series 34 a and 34A , All notes bear the signatures of Julian - Morgenthau combination.
    By late OCTOBER, 1944 the emergency monetary conditions were declared ended, and normal currency returned to use in Hawaii and the HAWAII overprinted notes went on to do duty during the occupation of formerly Japanese - held islands in the PACIFIC . Also certificates bearing the same signatures and dates ( 1935A series ) WAS printed on experimental Paper two types , NORMAL & AND NEW special paper. Notes on the special paper were overprinted with a large RED " S " in the lower right bottom corner, and ones printed on the reg paper was printed swame way but with a large RED "
    "R" placed in the same place . There was EXACTLY 1,184,000 of each type printedand released into circulation
    First of all -none were printed with a red seal, yours has probably fadded over the years and looks red - but they were printed with BROWN SEALS AND SERIAL NUMBERS . SIGNATURES on all were ( JULLIAN & MORGENTHAU.
    VALUE WILL DEPEND ON THE CONDITION OF THEM < BUT HERE IS A FEW VALUES OF noted CONDITIONS OUT OF THE 2008 RED BOOK ON PAPER MONEY
    1935A- FINE $40.00:: XF- $70.00 CH CU(63) - $375.00 ;; GEM CU - $1000.00
    1935A *- $ 275.00 : Xf $550.00 : CH CU (63) - $2750.00 : GEM CU _ $ 3875.00
    Good luck & GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Hauntedwolf- Here are the other two VALUES of the silver certificates you have! - 19578 SIGNATURES YOU HAVE ARE RIGHT;;;
    1957- FINE :: Xfine:: CH CU (63) GEM CU (65)
    $2.50 $ 4.00 $ 10.00 $ 15.00
    1957* $ 3.00 $ 8.00 $ 14.00 $ 16.00
    ( NOTE the Star on all three note values )
    I hope I have helped you with my answers , If not just come back on and Ill see what's wrong. There is already a site post on here that gives all to look for on how to grade paper money ( 1-9 HOW do you grade the c ondition of paper money ) Have a good day and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2008, 02:58 AM
    Couldn't spread the reputation so soon Flying Blue Eagle. But, just wanted to say excellent research and answers that you have given above! I'm glad that you are a member of this site! Truly, you are a boon to it! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a $1 1957 silver certificate worth ? [ 6 Answers ]

What is a $1 1957 silver certificate worth ?

Silver certificates [ 2 Answers ]

I have several $1 and $5 silver certificates dated 1923 and 1935. How can I determine the value of them?

Would like to know the value of 1928A Silver Certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1928A Series Silver Certificate. I am interested in learning its value. It is in very good condition. Serial number is W32431349A Signed by N.O. Nooss as Treasurer, and AW Mellon as Secretary of Treasury. It has the letter K followed by the numbers 1354 toward the bottom right corner. ...

Silver certificates [ 1 Answers ]

I have two one dollar silver certificates. A 1935D in excellent condition, no stains tears and no folds. A 1935 E in excellent condition, no stains, tears and 1 fold. Could someone tell me if they are worth anything and if so how much. Email me with the answer if possible as I rarely get on a...

View more questions Search