Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princess81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 04:37 PM
    Hello can you give me some advice
    Hello, my ex boyfriend owes me some money and I don't know how to get it back. I paid for a holiday for us as he had no money at the time as well as petrol to run his car and nights in a hotel. He said I would receive half of everything at the end of October after he had been to see his family in kurdistan to get the money off them but this has not been the case I went to see him to get my money and he called the police. I have all the holiday and hotel documents with both our names and my credit card number. What can I do.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 8, 2010, 05:29 PM
    Well... you asked this in small claims... the right place to file. If you win you get the filing fee awarded to you, but then you have to get him to pay, which people don't always do.
    A judge may or may not rule in your favor since you don't have a written contract, and many a boyfriend says it was a gift. But if you ever watch TV small claims shows, most judges do rule in favor of the person in your position. Then you get a lecture to never do it again!
    He may never show up in which case you win by default. But again, he may not pay.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2010, 06:33 PM

Winning is easy. Collecting the judgment amount may not be so easy to do even if the Court gives you the green light to garnish his wages.
    princess81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2010, 04:14 AM
    Thank you, do you know if there is any way he can be made to pay the money by the court.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by princess81 View Post
    Thank you, do you know if there is any way he can be made to pay the money by the court.
    No. It doesn't work that way. A judgment gives you the right to several forms of writ which enable you seize his property. Once his property (and wages due him, etc.) is seized, the judgment can be satisfied.

But you normally can't get an order, enforceable by contempt-of-court that he pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please Give Advice [ 3 Answers ]

I don't really know how to ask this question and I'm a little embarrassed to be asking it, all I ask is that you do not judge me. I'm scared and there is no one I can really ask about this. I had sexual intercourse twice last week and everything was okay for about two days or so, but then I noticed...

Can anyone give me advice? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been with my partner for nearly 4 years now and I love him to death(sometimes to much) he is the most sweetest boyfriend and does everything a loving boyfriend should. Problem is I don't really get along with his family, I go in the house and say hello how are you... they answer and that's...

Give me some advice [ 10 Answers ]

I have been married to my husband. We have two children from this marriage. I met my husband shortly when I learned that I was pregnant which he was aware and did not mind. My daughter's biological father walked out on me when he learned about the pregnancy. His current whereabouts are unknown....

Can someone give me advice please? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 92 civic hatch that won't start. I was told it was the distributor, so I put a new one in. now she cranks but still doesn't start up. I don't know if it's the distributor cables are on wrong or if there is another situation with it. Can someone give me advice please?

View more questions Search