Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Nov 2, 2006, 09:01 PM
    Traditionally christian
    I've always considered myself religious... I could never accept that there is nothing more than the life we've got now...
    But I don't know where I fit into the different religeions... I have an incling that its christian,
    But you hear about being christian is giving your whole life over to the lord and you just know and you cry and you have this big moment where nothing else matters...
    I haven't had this moment... does this then mean that I am not christian until I do?
    Thans for your help
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 05:15 AM
    Many will argue what the formal definition of "Christian" is, but I think most would agree that it means "One who follows the doctrines of the Christian faith". A good place to start would be with the Apostles Creed. As for me, I call people who profess those beliefs "Christians".

... of course I also believe it's much more than that, but those are the "basics".

This is my opinion.
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Nov 3, 2006, 05:36 AM
    Hello imation,

How's Oz today?

Many people 'receive the calling' toward God (whoever their God may be) and make a conscious effort to devote their lives to doing his/her bidding.

That does not detract from the millions of us who try to live our lives trying to do the right things and helping others in need. This make them no less a Christian than those who do receive the calling.

God wants us to believe and follow his/her rules. If we do this, whether we become a Nun, Rabbi, Priest, etc or just live our lives believing and trying to do good makes no difference.

Each and everyone of us commits a sin of some kind every day whether it is through our thoughts or actions, it is impossible not to, but as long as we try to follow the religious doctrine to the best of our ability, that is the most important.

I am a believer and consider myself a Christian, but I am most definitely not perfect. However I do know of many people who profess to be devout Christians, go to their church regularly, but for the rest of the time think only of themselves and never have a kind or good word to say about anyone. They to me are hypocrites.

In my case I rarely go to church but I do try to help those who need it when I can and I firmly believe God is quite happy with this.

Take care and may your God go with you.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 3, 2006, 06:15 AM
    I think it all starts with a personal relationship with the God you understand, and as you get out and see the world and get a better idea what you want to be about, you can better decide to which group, if any you want to gravitate to. I claim no religion for myself but have met some real good human beings over the years and have a deep respect for what they believe. Find God for yourself first and the rest is really easy. He does not hide from us.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Nov 4, 2006, 04:36 PM
    Biblically, a Christian is one who accepts Jesus' Ransom sacrifice for sins and lives a life as Jesus told us to live it. The requirements are explained clearly in the Bible.
    Stick with those and you won't be mislead.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2006, 10:00 PM
    We each come to Jesus in our own way. I have been a Christian and followed him for as long as I can remember. I had a place in my life where I fell away and I had a place where things got a lot closer.

And if you follow the life of even the Apostles you will see they had closer times and they had times of doubt and times of falling away and coming back.

So if you believe Christ is your savior, you are a Chrsitain, you may have this belief different from mine, you have practice different than I do.

Some follow very closely Jewish customs and traditions, others shout and yell a lot, others more quietly in prayer,

There is no right way to find him, but what is important is that you find him
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 5, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by imation
    ive always considered myself religeous... i could never accept that there is nothing more than the life we've got now...
    but i dont know where i fit into the different religeions... i have an incling that its christian,
    but you hear about being christian is giving your whole life over to the lord and you just know and you cry and you have this big moment where nothing else matters...
    i havent had this moment... does this then mean that i am not christian until i do?
    thans for your help
    Being a Christian means that one believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior and Redeemer of the world, and that following his teachings and example will lead us to spend eternity with God.

Christianity is belief in the Incarnation of God's Son Jesus Christ, belief that his willing sacrifice on the cross of Calvary wrought an infinite atonement that rids the believer of the consequences of his sins, and a belief in the literal resurrection from the dead of the slain Redeemer.

All else is commentary

M:)RGANITE

JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Being Christian can be defined in different ways. Have you given your life to Jesus. Have you accepted him has lord. Do you pray daily and meditate on his word. Do you try to do your best to live according to Jesus?

You do not have to cry and scream and have a moment in front of everybody in order to be considered christian.

I feel emotional at times when I talk to the lord. I may sing sometimes, sometimes I may cry.

Everybody has been given different gifts from God. Some have a gift for preaching, some have a gift of speaking in tongues, some have a gift in listening, some have a gift in sharing, some have a gift of teaching, some have a gift of healing. So on and so on.

The lord God loves you for chosing him. For knowing him and for accepting him. Remember this. As father said we all know Jesus and we all have our own personal journey with him. We each get to know him in a different way.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

Christian Discovery [ 3 Answers ]

Do You Have Nay Subject Of New Discovery Regarding Christian Discovery Or Any Proof Of The Bible Artificats?

Jew/christian marriage [ 4 Answers ]

I read somewhere that if a Jewish women marries a non-Jewish man, the children are considered Jewish. I was wondering if this is automatic or do the children get to choose for themselves when they are older.

Need Help With Christian Song Name [ 1 Answers ]

I Know The Lyrics But Need To Know The Title And Who Sings It. Any info would be a great help. It is a woman who sings it. The Lyrics Are Jesus Loves Me This I Know For The Bible Tells Me So Little Ones To Him Below They Are Weak But He Is Strong Alleluia Allelu Alleluia Alleluia

Early Christian Manuscripts [ 5 Answers ]

Tough question for anyone willing to tackle it. :) I read references frequently about the thousands and thousands of manuscripts which stand as evidence for the veracity of the Bible. Yet no one ever cites their sources. How do I verify that there are indeed all of these early manuscripts? ...

View more questions Search