Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melloboi23 Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Dec 14, 2008, 02:55 PM
    I'm looking for a piano restoration project
    I am in high school and I am a wiz at fixing musical instruments. If its in a high school band I've fixed it brass woodwinds percussion any thing. The one thing I've never done is fix a piano. I have an upright piano that's been in storage since my grandmothers death and I want to restore it myself in her memory. Since its been in a storage unit it will be bad out of tune there is a broken pedel and key but my main concern is the humidity. It has been exposed to the elements in the units for a long time and I need to know how I can counter act all the humidity damage it has taken. Can any one help me?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 12:11 AM

Hi, melloboi23!

The first thing that you need to do is to determine if the instrument is even worth restoring. The main thing to determine that would be if it can be tuned or not and hold the tuning.

Would it be possible for you to move it to an environment where the conditions concerning humidity would be stable, please?

If the piano has been in a storage unit for a long time (not sure how long that has been), it's possible that things may have become unglued and changed in dimensions enough so as to render it not feasibly restorable considering the cost as well as the viability of it being a usable musical instrument anymore.

But, many other questions would need to be answered first before making that kind of determination.

I've been restoring and rebuilding pianos since the mid-1970's. Have brought many an instrument back from the "dead" since then.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low AC voltage after service restoration > after Ike in Houston [ 3 Answers ]

After the lights came back on the lights are dim and the a/c won't run. I suspect one of the legs on the A/C service is opened up. An AC voltmeter reads 78-80, depending on which outlet I check in the house for voltage. I did a small experiment, shutting off every breaker in the house exccept...

Civil Rights Restoration [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how I can have my civil rights restored to include gun ownership for a fraud felony (probation... never served jail/prison time) conviction in the state of California that was expunged in 1980. I moved from the state in 1990, I have not committed any other offenses. I have a...

Cast Iron Fireplace Restoration [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old cast iron fireplace that was seriously neglected and has begun to rust. I would like to restore it to working condition for use on a deck. What is the best approach for removing the rust and putting it back to use?

Restoration of firearms ownership [ 2 Answers ]

I have a domestic violence charge on my criminal record out of Cedar Rapids Iowa. I pleaded guilty and waived my right to trial. This was eighteen years ago, 1990. I just tried to purchase a firearm and found out I am disqualified under Federal law. Can anyone direct me to a legal source of any...

View more questions Search