Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Matt 19:16-17
    16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    (KJV)

The answer to the question depends on what you define as "good". Jesus plainly says that only God is good. If you are asking about works that are helpful to others, then certainly non believers can do good, but no kind or degree of works will earn salvation.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 10:33 AM
    So no one can do good if you follow the bible's word. Well that's settled then. I'll continue on doing my thing.

Mar 10, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    So no one can do good if you follow the bible's word. Well that's settled then. I'll continue on doing my thing.
    Nice cop out! You didn't tell us what you mean by good. What the Bible says is that no one is good enough on their own to merit eternal life. Of course, if you don't want eternal life, then it's a moot question.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    Of course, if you don't want eternal life, then it's a moot question.
    Eternal life is WAY overrated.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 10, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    Eternal life is WAY overrated.
    what makes you say that?
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedhelpfast
    what makes you say that?
    It's a fond hope, at best, while this earthly life, so full of beauty and possibility, is often compromised and denigrated and cheapened by those who assure us that the next life is worth more than this one. I'm convinced that the best way to prepare for whatever comes next is to live this life with gratitude and respect and acceptance of the wonderful opportunities that it affords.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 06:33 AM
    It's a fond hope, at best, while this earthly life, so full of beauty and possibility, is often compromised and denigrated and cheapened by those who assure us that the next life is worth more than this one. I'm convinced that the best way to prepare for whatever comes next is to live this life with gratitude and respect and acceptance of the wonderful opportunities that it affords.
    That was very well said. Bravo.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
    What you say is true about gratitude and respect and so on, but I don't neglect this life because of a better one, if anything I try to help others enjoy this life, it is very sad to see all the depression and anger in our society. From school shootings to suicide. I don't press my beleifs on anyone, I just show them what god has done in my life, and its amazing

Mar 11, 2008, 06:00 PM
    What about this? Unforgiven sin keeps people out of Heaven and sends them to Hell. Sin also leads to STD's, alcoholism, broken homes, rape, murder, politicol corruption, wars, etc. Now if I lead a life aimed at Heaven, I'm going to miss all those bad things, so I'm in great shape. I will have a good life here if that is all there is. Those, on the other hand who dismiss all possibility of a hereafter- - - -.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Sin also leads to STD's, alcoholism, broken homes, rape, murder, politicol corruption, wars, etc. Now if I lead a life aimed at Heaven, I'm going to miss all those bad things, so I'm in great shape. I will have a good life here if that is all there is. Those, on the other hand who dismiss all possibility of a hereafter- - - -.
    The problem with your little theory is that christians "sin" just as much as non-christians, there really is no difference. Conversely there are just as many good people who are christian as non-christian.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 07:21 PM
    A christian lives or tries to live a life style that is not always the same as the world, do some fail, of course, but in the end, in the eyes of the world, does no christians do good, yes, they help others, they do great works in the eyes of man, so often the worst sinner can be proclaimed to be the greatest best good person in the world.

But God does not look at the list of good works, he looks for he loves and serves and has accept him as their Lord and Savior.
    And the largest difference in sin in the Christian, he is forgiven of those sins, and is not condemning thierself with that sin.

And to those that have no faith or hope for salvation, of course eternity is over rated, since of course they don't accept the fact that they will not be part of the eternal home.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Those, on the other hand who dismiss all possibility of a hereafter- - - -.
    I don't dismiss all possibility of it, I just don't think it has any real bearing on the proper way to live this life, i.e. kindly, gratefully, and generously. If there is an afterlife, I'll be glad, but I don't need the promise of it to induce me to live this one well. Would you become selfish and cruel without the threat of eternal punishment and the promise of eternal reward? I doubt it, actually.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 01:14 PM
    The God that I understands, puts more in the actions, that we humans do, than the lip service spent about TRYING to be right, as we are no different, no matter what name, or group, we put ourselves in, or book we read. We are just dumb humans, who know no better, but keep hoping.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 23, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    ... We are just dumb humans, who know no better, but keep hoping.
    You may be, but I disagree with you on that. You can know better. You even should know better. But because your morals and ethics are based on the Christian basics you seem to lack the need for argumentation and justification for your views.
    Nothing wrong with hope. But hope alone will hardly ever lead to anything better. You have to put more into that than just hope.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    You may be, but I disagree with you on that. You can know better. You even should know better. But because your morals and ethics are based on the Christian basics you seem to lack the need for argumentation and justification for your views.
    Nothing wrong with hope. But hope alone will hardly ever lead to anything better. You have to put more into that than just hope.
    But those without God don't even have hope, not for the life after this.
    And of course as many say here morals and ethics are not just a Chrsitian issue but a issue of society, And there is no need to argue and most certainly no need to justify our beliefs. Those wanting a justification merely wish to not accept, which is thiere right, but when they wish to challenge those that believe they wish to merely try and take away that hope and belief form others.

I have always challenged that those that do this, are more than pure atheist, but are really those working for the other side, If one attacks one belief, they have to have a belief that is against it, not merely a belief of nothing.
    -

Mar 23, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I do not need hope for a life after this to be a good human being who does the right thing now. Only a donkey goes after the carrot...
    ... of course as many say here morals and ethics are not just a Christian issue but a issue of society ...
    The problem with that is that so many here BELIEVE that morals and ethics are a Christian issue!
    And there is no need to argue and most certainly no need to justify our beliefs.
    That is an invalid suggestion, because many here state CLAIMS that are based on what they BELIEVE, instead of being based on objective support.
    Of course you do not have to justify whatever you BELIEVE. But if you misuse whatever you BELIEVE as argument for the validity of your religious views please expect flack.
    Those wanting a justification merely wish to not accept, which is thiere right ...
    I don´t have any wish NOT to accept. But religious based claims make little sense to convince non-believers.
    ... but when they wish to challenge those that beleive they wish to merely try and take away that hope and beleif form others.
    This is not true. From me you may BELIEVE whatever you prefer. I will even defend your right to BELIEVE whatever you BELIEVE.
    It is not my intention to take away hope and/or belief from others.
    All I do is clearly state that what a person BELIEVES is not therefore the one and only truth.
    I have always challenged that those that do this, are more than pure athiest, but are really those working for the other side.
    What a ridiculous and unsupported proposition! What other side? If I reject deities, what "other side" is there?
    If one attacks one beleif, they have to have a belief that is against it, not merely a beleif of nothing.
    As stated above : no belief is attacked here. But even if that were true, the argument is invalid. There is no need to believe the opposite if one argues a different personal view. Highlighting the invalidities of other views and claims is more than sufficient.
    Your (now personal) attack at me shows that you run out of valid argumentation...
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Those who doubt that the next life is more important than this one are less in need of hope for it.

If one attacks one beleif, they have to have a belief that is against it, not merely a beleif of nothing.
    Just so you know, it is possible to have no belief without disbelieving.
    -

Mar 23, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Those who doubt that the next life is more important than this one are less in need of hope for it.
    It's not so much a case of doubt, but much more one of total lack of objective support for the existence of any format of afterlife.
    And besides that : why would an allmighty benevolent deity (if it exists) demand our total individual submission? The issue should be if the individual lived a "proper" life without causing unnecessary hurt to others.
    Hundreds of thousands of innocent victims in the Middle East due to a war supported by umpteen millions US Christians against those few not taking the Bible literally... What should a "deity" use as standard for being a good human being?
    :confused:
    Just so you know, it is possible to have no belief without disbelieving.
    Spot on!;)
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Mar 24, 2008, 08:10 PM
    And there is no need to argue and most certainly no need to justify our beliefs.
    For those who don't care whether their beliefs are true, you're right. Why justify them?

Those wanting a justification merely wish to not accept, which is thiere right, but when they wish to challenge those that believe they wish to merely try and take away that hope and belief form others.
    Fortunately, there are people who DO care if what they believe is true or not. If YOU don't care, that's fine for you. But we don't all have to live like that.

I have always challenged that those that do this, are more than pure atheist, but are really those working for the other side, If one attacks one belief, they have to have a belief that is against it, not merely a belief of nothing.
    What 'other' side? Do you really think that to have a lack of belief in something for which there is no evidence for is evil?
    Donna Mae Posts: 55, Reputation: 14

Mar 25, 2008, 12:11 AM
    I couldn't stand living in this evil world if I didn't have hope.
    Hope for a better life after this world is gone.
    Hope for God to say to me, "Your name is in the Book of Life."
    Hope for eternal salvation.
    Hope is a wonderful thing to have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? [ 60 Answers ]

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? So many churches say different things, And I want to know what your opinion is.

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

Not PC to be Christian? [ 17 Answers ]

I've noticed among a lot of my friends that it just doesn't seem to be Politically Correct to be Christian. I've got a pretty ethnically diverse friend group even. I know some Hindu believers, a Buddhist, Scientologist family, and several aethiests. It just seems like their more willing to...

Christian [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am Mich3. I was looking for a Christian page. Is there one here?

Know a good christian website/forum? [ 11 Answers ]

I checked into this forum a few days ago. But I clearly see how religion divides people. Mysticism, mediiums, astrology, all things I learned about were from a spirit of witchcraft almost a lifetime ago. Hearing these things makes me sad for all of the evangelists among us trying to help people...

View more questions Search