Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Madaneb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2011, 01:19 PM
    Gay, in love with straight best friend, how do I push aside the love?
    Hello, I am a 27 year old male, I am gay, although I have never been in a relationship before, many reason for this include, depression, lack of self confidence, unable to find a 'compatible' person to relate with, and other such trauma I have sustained as a child have also effected my outlook on relationships.

I always tell myself I'm not dwelling on the past, I'm fine, but then I find myself not being able to open up to people, not accepting my sexuality, refusing to be with another man, I am my own worst enemy!

For the past 2 years, I have been in love with my best friend, a completely straight male, who has zero interest in other men.. I don't want to lose him as a friend, but I desperately need to get rid of my intense love for him, because it is ruining my life, I care endlessly for him, I worry about him, I look after him, I live with him (and other house mates) I'm even in the same band as him, we're together all the time, and he has no idea that I'm dying inside!

Sometimes he'll meet a girl, and I completely break down with heartache and jealousy, he has suspected I might have feelings for him, and as a result he rejects my friendship, which in turn, makes me feel worse! I have lied through my back teeth to him, convinced him my love is purely platonic!

HELP ME SOMEONE! I'm in a deathly bubble, and I can't pop it!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 4, 2011, 02:15 PM
    I am sorry you are struggling with this. Loving someone who does not love you back, regardless of sexual orientation, is hard to overcome.

But while you love this person that you know you cannot have, you are preventing yourself from meeting people that could turn out to be more than a friend. Your vision is clouded, and I'm not sure how much of that is because of the feelings for your friend, and how much of it is because of other reasons as you've described- depression, lack of confidence, etc.

And, while your friend may have characteristics and qualities that appeal to you, he is also safe, because you know you don't have to make a commitment. Living a dream, may just be easier than facing the future with a new, more compatible mate, that is also gay.

I think you are missing out a lot on not having a loving partner of your own. A friendship can only go so far. Most of us at some point want something more, and you know that it will not happen as long as you hang onto the feelings you have, for your straight friend.

I hope that you will seek out support and guidance from your gay community, to help you feel more comfortable and confident in finding more friendships that may result in romance. Being gay, should not be the only reason why you are stuck in this place, or an excuse for not expanding your horizons a bit more. There is a whole new world out there for you to find love in.

talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 4, 2011, 03:27 PM

Your whole posts says very loudly that you cannot cope with your own feelings, nor willing to take a risk about defining them. No wonder you have more fear, than self confidence, because you have little self awareness about what to do about your own happiness, and well being.

I imagine that makes it real easy to have intense feelings for anyone that's close and regular. Your attraction to this straight guy has nothing to compare with, so of course its intense for you.

Dude you may need some help, and guidance to learn to trust yourself, and believe in yourself enough to take a risk, and be open with people as to your true self.

Acceptance of self, is the start to opening yourself to a world of options and opportunities that will allow you to grow through experiences, and learn about YOURSELF, and have faith, trust, and confidence in yourself.

Then you will have no problem building a life that you enjoy, because you will know how to handle yourself, and your feelings in any situation, because you are no longer afraid of yourself.
    Cheyenneann Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2011, 05:29 PM
    Well I get that your in love with your best friend and everything but talk to him about it first... Correction about your feelings and how you feel its not weird or steange to breakdown when you see him with a girl cause that shows you really are in love and you might be dying inside but don't beat yourself up about it find a guy unlike this one find your one and destined! Everyone has one... Maybe you just haven't discovered it yet.. just keep on looking your originallity will lead you too the right path and your perfect guy!
    spritebubbles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
    I know you posted this a year ago, but I just found it and this is my EXACT situation. Expect I'm a straight girl and he's a gay guy. I've been single all my life (22 years old now) and I am just so desperately consumed by my love for my best friend who clearly feels nothing back for me at all. Reading your story made me genuinely cry. I feel the same when my friend finds a new guy that he likes. I just honestly want to die knowing that he doesn't want to be with me when I love him so much.

We too, spend our entire lives together and so it just kills me not be around him and then at the same time it's hurting me to be with him. I just was curious what your situation is now and I wanted to let you know that I feel exactly the same as you. <3

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm gay and I've fallen in love with Straight. [ 14 Answers ]

Everybody if you have any advices just tell me ***, I really need it now. He knows that I'm gay . At school , I sit next to him and he is really good with me. I did everything I that I could. He knows that I love him so much but he doesn't love me. He doesn't hate me at all. We talk like best...

I'm straight but I think I'm in love with my gay best friend. [ 6 Answers ]

So a few days ago my best friend told me he was gay. I'm the only person he's told so I'm really flattered that he told me, but ever since he told me he was gay I can't get him out of my mind and I can't stop thinking about him. And I think I've started to like him more than a best friend. Now I've...

Madly in love with a straight(?) friend, driving me crazy, today he said "I love you" [ 1 Answers ]

I know there are probably a million similar topics to this one on here, but I am stressed out my mind and don't know where else to turn to. I am madly in love with a friend of mine who has confused me to the point of I don't know what to think anymore. I am gay, and he now knows this. He's the...

Gay in love with straight [ 39 Answers ]

I am 53 married and in love with a 30 years old straight guy for the last 12 years. He loves me a great deal. We have sex regularly. In the beginning he was a little awkward but now he is passionate. There is one problem though. He is attracted to girls. In the past he never used to date girls as...

Another gay man in love with straight guy? [ 13 Answers ]

Ok... I am going to write about something that is driving me crazy and is so weird and strange its unbelivable. I am a 37 gay man and in love with another man which I work with. This other man has been around the block a few times and has vast experience in life, work and love. He has travelled...

View more questions Search