Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    80Rhodes Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
    Does God hate cussing?
    Do you think it really bothers God if we use cuss words? No other words are greater stress relievers than the "F" word or the "S" word. I don't say "G-D" but I do say other profane words when I am upset.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 80Rhodes View Post
    Do you think it really bothers God if we use cuss words? No other words are greater stress relievers than the "F" word or the "S" word. I don't say "G-D" but I do say other profane words when I am upset.

I have no idea what does and what does not "bother God." I do know there's a commandment about taking his name in vain, but I have no idea what other profane words you use, if they fall into that category.

I find these words coming out of the mouth of a woman to be offensive - but that's not your question.

Instead of wondering about what God thinks and doesn't think why not just use some other words that help you relieve stress?
    80Rhodes Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I have no idea what does and what does not "bother God." I do know there's a commandment about taking his name in vain, but I have no idea what other profane words you use, if they fall into that category.

I find these words coming out of the mouth of a woman to be offensive - but that's not your question.

Instead of wondering about what God thinks and doesn't think why not just use some other words that help you relieve stress?
    Not to be argumentative, you pointed out you find it offensive if a woman speaks this way, so does that mean it's okay for a man? Unless that was just your way of sneaking in an admonishment.

I was really looking for an answer from someone who is really experienced in struggling with living a Christian life while dealing with regular secular issues. But thanks for your time anyway.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
    Not to be argumentative, you pointed out you find it offensive if a woman speaks this way, so does that mean it's okay for a man? Unless that was just your way of sneaking in an admonishment.

I was really looking for an answer from someone who is really experienced in struggling with living a Christian life while dealing with regular secular issues. But thanks for your time anyway.

No, I find it offensive from both sexes, but, being aware that you are female I addressed your question, personalized to you.

I don't sneak anything in - I say what I mean. If I wanted to "admonish" you, I would "admonish" you.

While you are making assumptions, please don't "assume" I am not struggling with living a Christian life while dealing with "secular issues." Is that an attempt to "sneak in an admonishment"?

Why would you think I don't struggle like most other Christians?

Here's an answer from a source: http://carm.org/cursing

"Is cursing or swearing a sin? By Jared Wellman

To determine whether cussing is a “sin,” we need to first discuss what sin is, and second define what cursing, swearing, or cussing is. The Bible tells us that sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4) and rebellion against God (Deuteronomy 9:7, Joshua 1:18). It is furthermore described as imaginations of the unrenewed heart (Genesis 6:5; 8:21), defiling (Proverbs 30:12; Isaiah 59:3), disgraceful (Proverbs 14:34), and unrighteous (1 John 5:17), among other things.

Cursing is our way of describing words that are, for the most part, culturally or socially unacceptable. It is a slippery slope, however, to define a curse word because words are always taking on new meanings. Some curse words in the English language are actually authorized words to describe authentic things but have taken on a new meaning as time has progressed. Because of this, it is nearly impossible to create a canonized list of words that are considered curses. Nevertheless, it can be concluded that there are words that are purely crude or demeaning and are therefore unequivocally curse words.

It needs to be understood that cursing can also include any verbal expression of a word that may not necessarily be considered a traditional curse word. This means that the understanding of cursing needs to be expanded to not only include culturally or socially unacceptable words, but any word that is used to demean another individual or express extreme dissatisfaction with a particular situation, especially when that dissatisfaction is directed toward God. Christians are often guilty of substituting more culturally acceptable words in place of unacceptable words to describe their dissatisfaction with a situation, or even in reference to an individual. These are called euphemisms and cannot be considered justified alternatives.

Scripture has much to say about how Christians ought to use their tongues. Jesus specifically taught that what comes out of a man's mouth is evidence of what is in his heart. Luke 6:45 says, “The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.”

Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:29, “Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.” John MacArthur has written of this verse, “The word for 'corrupt' refers to that which is foul or rotten, such as spoiled fruit or putrid meat. Foul language of any sort should never pass a Christian's lips, because it is totally out of character with his new life in Christ.” The final portion of the verse offers a worthy use of our tongue—“what is good for edification.”

James gives us three illustrations from nature to demonstrate the sinfulness of cursing: “With [our tongue] we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way. Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water? Can a fig tree, my brethren, produce olives, or a vine produce figs? Nor can salt water produce fresh” (James 3:9-12).

Finally, 1 Peter 3:10 says, “For He who would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit.”

We can conclude that from the biblical definition of sin, our overview of cursing, and Scripture's many expressions on the use of our tongue that it is without question a sin to curse. As Christians, we are expected to rest on the promises of God, “cleansing ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God” (2 Corinthians 7:1). Cursing is contrary to resting on God's promises for it is a failure to follow the Lord's greatest commandments—to love God and to love people (Matthew 22:37-40). When we curse an individual, we do not love people and when we curse God, we do not love Him. Thankfully, God forgives us of our sins through the redemption found only in Jesus Christ (John 3:16)."
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
    Words mean what they mean because a society chooses to use them that way. All words are nothing more than strings of sounds intended to communicate particular ideas. For this reason, there are no "bad" words or "cuss" words in and of themselves. There are socially unacceptable words and expressions, and those change over time. Your "S" word is perfectly acceptable in Britain, while "bloody" is rather off-color there. I don't think God is bothered by any particular word or phrase.

There's the whole thing about "taking God's name in vain." That means a lot more than just saying "God" as an expression or interjection. The commandment specifically refers to taking an oath: "As God [or, for the ancient Hebrew, YHWH] is my witness, what I am saying is the truth." If it's not the truth, and you know it's not the truth, you have just taken the Lord's name in vain. You've called him as a witness to a lie. That's what the commandment means.

The word "piss" occurs dozens of times in the King James Bible. Why? Because in 1611 it was a perfectly common and acceptable word. Somewhere along the line, especially in America, that changed and it became socially undesirable. And so it goes.

Would it surprise you to know that the "F" word appears in the Bible six times? It's true. In the Song of Solomon, six times there's a word that means "f**k". At the time that poem was written, it was a perfectly acceptable word. But by the Middle Ages, when most of our manuscripts of the Hebrew Bible were made, the word was considered "obscene." The scribes made notes in the margin directing the reader to change it to a similar word that means "sleep with." Sound familiar??

I grew up with a dad who knew all of the " Sound familiar?????

I grew up with a dad who knew all of the " words and liked to come up with creative combinations for them. Hence, all those terms and expressions are imprinted in my mental vocabulary. So yes, I struggle with them. As my kids were growing up, I knew they were going to be exposed to socially unacceptable language, both at home and at school. So I didn't even try to teach them not to use such expressions. Instead, I taught them that there's a time and place for everything, and there's a time and place to refrain from certain ways of speaking for the sake of the people around you.

But the bottom line is, there are no " words and liked to come up with creative combinations for them. Hence, all those terms and expressions are imprinted in my mental vocabulary. So yes, I struggle with them. As my kids were growing up, I knew they were going to be exposed to socially unacceptable language, both at home and at school. So I didn't even try to teach them not to use such expressions. Instead, I taught them that there's a time and place for everything, and there's a time and place to refrain from certain ways of speaking for the sake of the people around you.

But the bottom line is, there are no " words. There are just words. And I really don't think any of them "bother" God.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    But the bottom line is, there are no "bad" words. There are just words. And I really don't think any of them "bother" God.
    I'm guessing (from growing up in a parsonage and being a Lutheran school teacher/tutor for years) that God is bothered more by our attitudes that show lack of love than the actual words we use.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2012, 04:56 PM
    No other words are greater stress relievers than the...
    I've never considered words as stress relievers. I also believe that using profanity is the first refuge of an undereducated mind.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Aug 26, 2012, 06:21 PM
    The best way to find out what God likes and dislikes, especially out of those who belong to Him, would be to read His revealed Word to mankind. JudyKayTee gave a good response regarding that.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Well I agree words mean what they mean because society chooses to use them that way. But that doesn't make using profanity right. And I believe God does care what words we use as Christians.

We as Chrisitians are called to not be conformed to this world and its ways. Even unbelievers teach their children it is wrong to use swear words. We should be an example of Christ... always. I can't imagine him swearing. There is an account of Peter who swore when he was denying Christ. It was probably the lowest moment of his life. The apostle Paul also makes mention that our speech should not be foolish or course, or crude.

There is not one time when demonstrating the fruit of the spirit it would be appropriate to swear. It doesn't really relieve stress in the long run. One fruit of the spirit is self control. I think it applies to our speech as well as everything else in our lives.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2012, 06:19 PM
    You are at fault, since those words only relieve stress if you have grown accustomed to using them for that. "coffee cake " would do the same thing if you wanted to.

Many people go their entire life without using words like that for those reasons. Often use of those types of words shows a level of education, social status or position within society. Where such words are more acceptable in their lower level of society.

The real fact is, you have relied on "words" to do something they have no purpose.

It appears you could care less what God thinks, or you would stop, since all you wish to do is argue the point when proved that god does not like them.

Are you here to really get an answer ( that I assume you already really knew anyway) or are you here just to argue a religious point of view for no actual purpose?
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Are you here to really get an answer ( that I assume you already really knew anyway) or are you here just to argue a religious point of view for no actual purpose?

The response to me had to be removed - enough said.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Well I agree words mean what they mean because society chooses to use them that way. But that doesn't make using profanity right. And I believe God does care what words we use as Christians.

We as Chrisitians are called to not be conformed to this world and its ways. Even unbelievers teach their children it is wrong to use swear words. We should be an example of Christ...always. I can't imagine him swearing. There is an account of Peter who swore when he was denying Christ. It was probably the lowest moment of his life. The apostle Paul also makes mention that our speech should not be foolish or course, or crude.

There is not one time when demonstrating the fruit of the spirit it would be appropriate to swear. It doesn't really relieve stress in the long run. One fruit of the spirit is self control. I think it applies to our speech as well as everything else in our lives.
    I hope the self-contradiction in this post is clear to everyone.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 12:53 AM
    Closed, OP picking experts answers apart and complaining about their "tone" or attitude.
    Obviously not looking for a real answer. Going to get into a argument,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why does God Hate me? [ 2 Answers ]

Sorry if a loser like myself is bothering you right now, but if you Don't mind I would like some advice. Now, I don't hate myself. I just Hate my life and the people that exist in it. I just feel like God Just tries his best to screw up my life. All I do is try to make my Loved ones happy, but...

Why does god hate me? [ 8 Answers ]

I am about to turn 16.Alot of stuff been happening to me lately.(A)Ive been sent to a BD class in high school just because I get a little nervous around a lot of people.(B)everybody been wanting to beat me up for no reason.(C)alot of my relatives been dying.(D)then my ex girlfriend asked me out...

Son has started cussing [ 12 Answers ]

My 13 yr old has decided it is OK for him to cuss. He wants to be a good Christain but (and I understand his thinking) that cuss words are just that, WORDS. Someone somewhere decided hey that is a bad word and you shouldn't use it. Ok I can agree with that but for him to show himself as a good...

FIL cussing and degrading using front of our kids [ 1 Answers ]

this may take a while , but I want to paint an unbias picture. met wife in college. Parents married and she was oldest of 4 kids... 11 year gap b/n wife and next sibling. Dw never met any g parents, they all died early on. Mother is a cat hoarder (spelling). She has around 80 cats. I am a...

View more questions Search