Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by homesell View Post
    You don't have an orange rectangle at the center bottom of each persons answer that says "rate this answer"?
    It isn't there at all seems impossible since it is at the bottom of everyones (including yours)answer or response. Perhaps you should contact the higher ups about this because usually all websites are exactly the same for all regular users.
    True, it isn't in the little answer box where you type in "answer this question" but every response should have the orange rectangle in the bottom center and the blue rectangle just to the right of it saying, "quote user"
    Just to pipe with the technical bits (that's my forté).

Fred, if you are using the old "skin" like I do then the rating feature is accessed by the scales icon in the top right of every post:
    Name:  approve.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  2.2 KB
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rnrg View Post
    It is our duty to be faithful to whatever He tells us to do. I know this to be true because my husband and I were missionaries overseas for several years. It is sad to see people from all walks of life that are hung up with their traditions and rituals because they have been taught this.

Here is my concern with this - are you a convert from another religion or are you a practicing Christian because that is the religion (complete with "rituals") in which you were raised?

And the people you find sad - were they not just living the religion in which they were raised?
    rnrg Posts: 48, Reputation: 20

Jul 13, 2009, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Here is my concern with this - are you a convert from another religion or are you a practicing Christian because that is the religion (complete with "rituals") in which you were raised?

And the people you find sad - were they not just living the religion in which they were raised?
    No, I was not a convert from another religion. I was not even raised in a Christian home. My parents were just good moral people that taught my siblings and me to be productive citizens when we grew up. I obeyed them but felt empty inside as I grew into a teenager as if I was missing something about life, a completeness. When I was a teenager, a friend invited me to her church. I went a few times only to find myself repeatedly returning and "finding out" about a God who would and could make me complete. I became a Christian about a year later. My life has been forever changed and with that, I have only wanted to share with others what Christ has done for me.

Also, I do not even consider Christianity to be a religion but a relationship with God, who is our Heavenly Father. The "sadness" that I felt was for those that had not accepted Christ. You see, according to the Bible, there is only one way to be saved, and that is by accepting God as your Father, accepting that Jesus was God's son, and that He died for all mankind, and asking Him to be your Lord and Savior. Christianity is faith based.
    The Bible says "For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. So you see, there is nothing that I could do or any work that I could do, to be saved or stay saved. God's gift of salvation is free. Anything else, according to God, is wrong. My statements are never meant to offend anyone.

Yes, some of those "people" that I met were following their traditions and rituals. I never told them they were wrong, but if they did ask about the difference in what I believed and what they believed, I would show them what the Bible said about it.

I do not follow rituals as a Christian. Jesus made the perfect sacrifice for us and no longer do we have to perform any type of ritual to have a relationship with him. The Bible is a guide for my life. God has ordinances that are made plan for which He expects us to follow.

My thoughts are, if you knew that your friends were going to be heading down a freeway going in the wrong direction, would you try and stop them, or would you continue to allow them to continue with their journey. The Bible says to go into all the world and preach the Gospel. So, where ever God puts me, I will always share with those that He places in my path. RNRG
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 05:53 PM

You are speaking according to your Bible, quoting your God.

I don't think you can speak for everyone.

As far as your beliefs, thank you for explaining them clearly and concisely.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You are speaking according to your Bible, quoting your God.Her Bible is the Bible that ALL of Christianity believe to be the inspired word of God. Those that dispute it are disputing Christianity.

I don't think you can speak for everyone.Don't see where she ever claimed to be speaking for everybody. She was answering a direct question.

As far as your beliefs, thank you for explaining them clearly and concisely.
    So what is your point?
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 09:46 PM
    Need Karma,
    Thanks much.
    I do have the set of scales.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 04:32 AM
    Nah, people can post what they want anywhere they want... as long as they follow the TOS. Having the place reserved only for like-minded people makes the discussion boring. Many questions posed here are not even question and answer types but actually points for discussion.
    rnrg Posts: 48, Reputation: 20

Jul 14, 2009, 05:47 AM
    I was originally going to send this as a private message but decided that maybe everyone would benefit.
    Contrary to most of the posters, this is NOT a discussion board or a chatroom. It is the "ask me help desk" where people that have questions about Christianity are supposed to get answers - about christianity or what the Bible has to say about their specific questions.
    If they want to chat or have discussions, there are plenty of other places to go like "politically correct answers" or "what non-believers think" "ask those that don't have a clue" or everybodys favorite, "All I know I learned from watching Mtv"
    If you are a reader of the posts, all these totally different answers under the name of Christianity can only confuse. If you don't believe the Bible and believe what Jesus said, please don't answer in the Christianity answers section, feel free to ask any question you like, and save the discussion for the discussion groups and chat rooms.
    I know this post itself is a violation but it absolutely had to be said.
    Thank you! I agree. RNRG
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

Jul 14, 2009, 06:00 AM
    Needkarma,
    So then call it a discussion group. I said anybody can ask any question. If they want a christian answer since they are in the christianity section, only a christian should answer. If you want an answer from someone else like an Mtv expert or a new age expert or a real estate expert, you go to that section to get answers. You're not suggesting that since I know little to nothing about computers that I should answer questions asked in the computer section. By the same token, people that know little or nothing about Christianity should not be answering. If you want a free for all discussion, go to the philosophy section where everybody has an equally valid opinion to answer any question. Or start a new section with questions about God. Don't put up a specific belief system (christianity) and say anybody that believes anything can answer. Yes, I'm free to go and answer questions in the computer section, but my answers there would be just as silly as some of the answers here. Well, maybe the computer guys would LIKE me to answer technical questions just to keep the people truly seeking answers from getting bored.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 06:14 AM
    Well, maybe the computer guys would LIKE me to answer technical questions just to keep the people truly seeking answers from getting bored.
    Sure, feel free, the people there aren't afraid of a different point of view.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Sure, feel free, the people there aren't afraid of a different point of view.
    Maybe NOT... but I don't think you want ME posting over there... :p Incidentally I wouldn't try to post an ANSWER to a question concerning the Koran because I don't know anything about it.

Having said that.. on the Christian boards... I personally enjoy everyone's input, But I think it is appropriate if you ARE NOT a Christian to say that just so the OP knows that he or she may NOT be getting a Christian response. Well that is my two cents anyway.

NK- far as I can tell there isn't anyone "afraid" of a different point of view over here either... so there.. bubba! Ha. ;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:24 AM

Homesell,

... I think it is good to welcome EVERYONE thoughts as long as they let the OP know up front they are NOT Christians. Do you agree or disagree with that?
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    So what is your point?

My point was to thank her for explaining this to me. And your point in posting?
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jul 14, 2009, 08:03 AM

I think Paul gives us the Jewish connectioin here:

Rom 3:1-2
    1 What advantage then hath the Jew? Or what profit is there of circumcision?
    2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
    (KJV)

Israel has received and preserved the record of God dealing with mankind.
    God has an eternal plan for the nation of Israel, but soul salvation is on the same basis for all of us. Faith in Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 11:02 AM
    I was originally going to send this as a private message but decided that maybe everyone would benefit.
    Contrary to most of the posters, this is NOT a discussion board or a chatroom. It is the "ask me help desk" where people that have questions about Christianity are supposed to get answers - about christianity or what the Bible has to say about their specific questions.
    If they want to chat or have discussions, there are plenty of other places to go like "politically correct answers" or "what non-believers think" "ask those that don't have a clue" or everybodys favorite, "All I know I learned from watching Mtv"
    If you are a reader of the posts, all these totally different answers under the name of Christianity can only confuse. If you don't believe the Bible and believe what Jesus said, please don't answer in the Christianity answers section, feel free to ask any question you like, and save the discussion for the discussion groups and chat rooms.
    I know this post itself is a violation but it absolutely had to be said.

Let me get this straight - you know this is a violation but you have chosen to post it anyway?

At any rate - if you want to only hear from people who think like you start your own website.

Or become a Moderator - either/or.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...cy-372284.html
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 12:33 PM
    By violation I meant violating my own rule about what it says at the bottom (the signature) concerning getting involved in discussion or defending my position. I'm sorry you got the impression I don't want people that don't think like me in the christianity website. If you were a pet expert, would you like people that didn't own pets giving advice to those that have questions about their pets? This isn't Christianity discussion group, this is answers in Christianity section. It's asinine to have a question asked in the Christianity section by an atheist. I don't post answers at all on any other site 'cuz I'm not an expert in any other field and answering a question when you're not an expert (or at least extremely knowledgeable) is just an uneducated opinion.

You seem to be confused about the purpose of AMHD - ANYONE is welcome to post. Using your example (dogs) if you have a neighbor who has a dog, if you've ever SEEN a dog, you're welcome to post.

And opinions are welcome - educated or not.

As far as violating your own rule - you also violated a site rule.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jul 14, 2009, 01:19 PM

I'm not sure how my "agree" above got there. I actually agree with Homesell. (Hit the wreon button, I suppose.)
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 02:18 PM
    [QUOTE=homesell disagrees: the site says"live answers from real experts" not discussion from atheists, agnostics, and the uninformed.
    .[/QUOTE]

Agreed - so what are you doing here?

Oh, that's right. You're a self-proclaimed expert.

Shouldn't that be "discussion BY" and not "discussion from" while you're criticizing.

And revenge reddies are so transparent and revealing!
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    I'm not sure how my "agree" above got there. I actually agree with Homesell. (Hit the wreon button, I suppose.)

This will help explain. Ask Me Help Desk - FAQ
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:40 PM

JudyK,

You gave me a reddie because I said anyone could post on the Christian board as long as they state they aren't Christian. I stand corrected... However, I was NOT trying to be unkind when I said it. I was trying to invite anyone to do so. I think when someone ASKS a question of the CHRISTIAN board they are looking for a CHRISTIAN answer so I think it is POLITE to let the OP know they are NOT a Christian. It is a free country ( kind of anyway). I also said I personally welcomed anyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Jewish Names [ 18 Answers ]

I have been curious about Jewish names. Are their some names that American Jews will not name their children? For example, are their any Jewish girls named Mary? Or, Jewish boys named Christopher or Noel? What are some of the names that aren't used, if any?

Jewish movies [ 27 Answers ]

So I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, since pretty much everyone here is posting questions for movie titles, but here it is anyway. Is it just some unspoken creed that movies with Jewish actors in prominent roles always have some little something or other that is Jewish? ...

Was Hitler Jewish? [ 7 Answers ]

Some people in my class said he was, and the teacher believed them, but Im not sure if HE was. I hear his grandfather was jewish though?? I am not sure. Was Hitler Jewish?

Am I Jewish? [ 2 Answers ]

I understand that Jewish descent is matrilineal, but how far back does that go -- all the way back to Moses, or just a generation or two? In researching my geneaology, I just discovered that my great-great-great grandmother (on my mother's side, straight matrilineal descent to me) was Jewish....

Am I Jewish [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Emily, My question is "Am I Jewish "? I have been told that unless my family members that were Jewish,were from my mother's side of our family I couldn't claim my Jewish Roots is this true? I'm very confused, why should it make any difference or does it? :confused:

View more questions Search