Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Apr 17, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Allergic to Cough Medicine
    I have a really bad cough and am allergic to cough medicine. Any suggestions on what I can do to get the cough to go away?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Why do you think you are allergic to cough medicine? What is in the cough medicine that you are allergic to? There are most likely some other cough meds that you can take.

You need to stay hydrated, maybe suck on some lozenges.
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Apr 17, 2007, 03:06 PM
    I'm allergic to guaifenesen and dextromethorphan, the main active ingredients. When I was younger, I tried three different brands and vomited each time, which was how we discovered that I can't have guaifenesen. More recently, I had a headache and stuffy nose, took Tylenol Head Congestion, which has dextromethorphan in it, and got nauseous. I have been drinking a lot of water and the cough is still there.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Oh, hun, I am sorry you are suffering so. If this is the case, you need to get into the doctor to get some meds. You will need something so that you do not develop pneumonia.
    domjohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2010, 11:04 AM

May have been answered now but are you a coughing asthmatic usually reconised if you are a younster but not as eaily acceptable inb an adult, most Drs saying 'Adults do not cough' but they do I assure you
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 12:16 PM

Long before cough medicines came along drinking tea or warm lemon water mixed with honey was used for coughs and sore throats. You may also take a couple of teaspoons of honey alone.

In fact, "honey appeared to be as effective as the cough suppressant dextromethorphan in typical over-the-counter doses." according to a recent study. (see J.M. Steckelberg, MD, Mayo Clinic)

Good luck and get well.
    tesorocorazon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 11:59 AM
    I have been allergic to all over the counter cough medication my entire life! To make matters worse I have a very deep cough, its sounds horrible.
    Also since I was younger I have been given Tylonal 3. The codeine works as a cough suppressant. They came out with something called tessalon perles a few years back. They work OK. There are also home remedies for coughs (Google them you will find all kinds)... mainly you will have to go to the Dr. to get a prescription each time. :( some of the homemade remedies help some. We are all different hope you find something.

Know its been a long time maybe you will or have found something that works great! I am always looking for something. I don't like visiting the Dr every time I have a bad cough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Allergic reaction on using Hair colour [ 9 Answers ]

I am 53 years, more than 50% hair has become gray which is not acceptable to me. I tried many hair dyes to make it black but all of those causes allergic ( skin ) reaction. Now I am using henna, but its red colour is also unaccetable. How can I make my hair black without causing any allergic...

My cat has a cough [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2-year old male cale, with all shots, not neutured. He has been very healthy until now. He has developed a cough. I thought maybe it might be a hair ball because he had been licking his fur, it has been a week now and he is still coughing, acting like he has to throw up but doesn't. ...

Cough [ 5 Answers ]

My 7 month old Lab has a deep cough. He only coughs when he runs or gets excited just a few times then he stops. Sounds like Croop?? We are having Santa Ana Winds could he have allergys? If so What can I give him. He is eating and playing fine. Nose is cold and wet

Allergic reaction [ 2 Answers ]

Our dachsund got his distemper and rabies shot yeasturday. They said he may have a alergic reation and he is getting lumps that are coming and going throughout his head area. His ears are red on the inside too. Please advise, thank you

View more questions Search