Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needurhelp Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 11:35 PM
    3 yr old won't potty train
    HI,
    I have a 3 year old son as well as a 9 month old son and a 10 year old daughter. I have been having a very difficult time trying to train him to go on the potty. I think I have tried about every pull up out there, even the one that goes cold when he goes, but all he did was laugh that it went cold. I tell him that if he wants to go to school next year he needs to sit on the potty, but he just runs away. I don't want to force him to sit on the potty because I don't want to scare him away from it.
    I explain to him that mommy and daddy and his big sister all use the potty but it makes no difference. I never had this problem with my daughter and I have heard that it is different with boys.
    I am constantly asking if he needs to go pee but he replies NO. I will ask him if he has wet himself and he will lie and say no so that I won't change his diaper. Its like he is too busy to lay down and get a new diaper and not happy about taking the time to sit on the toilet.
    How do you know when to push without scaring the child away?
    Should I fight with him to sit on the toilet, or just not push at all?
    I don't want to have to delay school because he won't train..
    I have 6 months before he starts JK and am worried that we may have to wait an extra year..
    Any advice anyone can give would be a great help.. I really thought going through this once the second time would be easier..

Thank you
    sadrabbit Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2007, 12:52 AM
    I have two children ages 8 and 6.

My son was more difficult to potty train than my daughter, in my opinion.

I used heavy cotton underpants during the daytime, instead of pullups. Pullups seemed to cause more delay in the process for me. It makes a dripping mess sometimes, but it did seem to help him be more aware of what he was doing.

I tried to train him a couple of times and waited a few months in between each time. When he was ready, he learned very fast.
    needurhelp Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Thank you for your help..
    I did purchase the heavy training underpants, but he seems to fight and kick and scream just to put them on... I am going to try with them again.. maybe consistency will pay off.:D

Thank you again for your advice
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Okay, yes, boys are harder than girls. I have 3 (ages 21, 19, and 5) boys and 1 (age 13) girl. She was a breeze.

Now, understand that pullups are no different than diapers. The only difference is that they can stand up when you put them on and take them off.

One thing I am curious about is: Do you our your husband take him when you go to the bathroom?

Another thing to understand is that very few kiddos go to school in diapers (and yes, pullups are diapers).

Have you tried putting fruitloops in the toilet and getting him to "aim" for them? Get a squirt gun, show him how to "aim" for the fruitloops. Give him a hershey's kiss or something similar like maybe a sticker if he does well.

Are you a stay at home mom? If he fights and kicks and screams to put the training pants on, why not just keep them off? Why not let him run around butt naked? Tell him the pullups are all gone except for bed time.

Yes, consistency does pay off. He is just trying to remain in control of the situation. This is not unusual for children of this age.
    mymemine Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 04:42 PM
    This has become a who wins for him, do not bring it up for a while, for get the subject, And after some time take him to the store and see if he would like to pick out real underwear, ( with characters on them).. When I was training my son , my husband always took him to the potty with him, there was not discussion,. soon he realized about big boys and the potty.
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Dec 9, 2008, 12:52 AM

I know its weird that I can remember potty training but I do, and I remember that when I switcched to reg underwear, if I went in them I got a good solid spanking. Took only about 3 or 4 times and I learned.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Dec 10, 2008, 08:15 PM

I'm in the same boat, though mine is only 2 1/2. He is very stubborn. We have two potties. One that is on the floor, and the seat kind that goes on the big toilet. He prefers the big one, since that is where he sees us sitting. He hasn't gone in it yet. But he will sit awhile. Maybe try pooping first? That was much easier with my daughter. Especially when you know they are getting ready to go, it's pretty obvious! I'm going to watch this post, and get some ideas for myself!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty train for my shih tzu [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got a 8 weeks old shih tzu. I work long hours so I plan to potty train him indoor. I use newspaper in the crate and he pees on it, but when I let him out, he won't do it but instead he pees on the carpet. Sometimes when I caught him when he need to go, so I put him on the paper he just...

How do I potty train my 9 month old cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month old cat potty's on everything! He knows how to use a litter box but I want him to go outside so I don't have a stinky litter box. So I put him outside after he eats and when I let him in he pottys on something. And I know he goes outside because lately he has been outside most of the...

How do I train my 5 month old Pomeranian not to go potty in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

A quick remedy for teaching my 5 month old Pomeranian, not to go potty in the house. I just bought him 2 days ago.

Potty Train Adult Dog and Breaking from Biting [ 3 Answers ]

We just adopted a beagle from the pound,she is aprox. 5yrs old I took her to the vet and other than needing a dental cleening she got a clean bill of health... The problem I am having is her sneeking around to soil in the house and I swear she soils more than she takes in... She has a crate ,she...

Train travel [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a train that I can use from australia going to new zealand.

View more questions Search