Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suoreill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 02:19 AM
    My child steals
    My 12 year old has just been caught stealing from us. My question is, what do I do next and how do I get him to stop.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 9, 2007, 03:45 AM
    Take him to the police. May sound drastic but a lot of the time police are prepared to deal with this sort of thing, because it helps nip it in the bud. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying have him arrested, but police in this area will give the kids a good telling off and show them the cells and let them know in no uncertain terms what will happen if they do this sort of thing again. It scares the hell out of most kids!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Ok, normally I am tough about children, but I havve to ask is this the first time or do you have reason to believe he has done it before,

Why was he, what was he stealing. ( if he was stealing your pot supply from under the bed, it is different than stealing money from your purse *somewhat differetn anyway)

Often it can be a cry for attention if he has been having issues over family problems.

But of course it can also be a sign of drug use, to steal to get money to buy drugs.

You need to determine where this is and what is happening to your child. what other behaviors are there.

Serious punishment, no TV, computer, gameboys and the such for a long period at least. Perhaps see if you both can volenteer at a soup kitchen to see what happens to many people, let him hear their stories.

I believe all of us make poor judgements at times, and we can all use a second chance for most things (with some exceptions of course)

Do you have the resourses for a couselor ?
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Mar 9, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Ask him why. If it is money for something that you don't want to buy but that is not harmful to him, do you give him the opportunty to make money? Eg) chores or odd jobs for neighbours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child tax credit :child on H-4 came August 2006 , [ 1 Answers ]

Hi atlanta tax guru I am on h-1 ( entered in June 2006) wife & son entered ( on h-4) August 2006 I am filing as resident alien as I passed test, Wife & son entered 19th August 2006 , are they pass test after 6 months Is it valid to call them resident alien after 19 feb 2007 ? And will...

View more questions Search