Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristiwagner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 07:11 PM
    Childhood masturbation
    I am a school counselor and am trying to learn more about a situation we have at school with one of our 3rd graders. For the past two years, since she was in 1st grade, she has masturbated in the classroom. It has steadily grown worse over time, and now seems to be almost compulsive. Her brother was sexually abused by his dad's girlfriend when this child was 5. CPS has questioned her as well as a child advocacy center in the area where we live. They do not suspect that she was abused. There is much turmoil in the parents lives. They are on again/off again in their relationship, keeping the children constantly upset. I suspect this environment perpetuates some of this behavior. Also, she may just have figured out that it feels good and that may be part of it as well. It is becoming a problem at school and at home too. I'm reluctant to offer too much advice to her mother. I don't want to offend any religious beliefs she may have, or offend her in any other way for that matter. I'm just at a loss for how to help and don't have much information to start with. I have spoken to the child many times before telling her that we don't do those kinds of things in private. I've also pointed out the fact that other children may start to notice this behavior and tease. Her parents have also spoken with her repeatedly about it. None of it has done any good. Can someone offer more information on the normalcy of this behavior? Has anyone ever experienced this either directly or indirectly? I want to advise this mother correctly, but haven't had much experience in this area. To me, it doesn't appear to be normal curiousity. It alomost seems like an obsession she can no longer control. It worries her mom and I very much.
    :confused: Any advice would be appreciated.

Check out some similar questions!

Childhood toys [ 6 Answers ]

Sit back and think, now christmas is coming up and I'm after gift ideas but I don't want just any old gift ideas I want you to tell me what your favorite toy was as a child and weather or not there is an updated version now. Mine was lego I used to spend hours building walls to stop my sister...

Child masturbation? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi! I have a six year old daughter in the first grade. I have noticed in the past few months what appears to be her masturbating. She has her hand between her legs and she rocks back and forth. I tried not to freak out, because I did not want to make a big deal about it. I just told her that if...

Jesus' childhood through adulthood [ 15 Answers ]

Why doesn't the bible include the early life of Jesus.. obviously he was going to be important from the get go... Virgin Mary getting pregnant... the 3 wise men.. where did all these stories go?what about Jesus' brothers and sisters.. what happened to them?any answers?

A Song From My Childhood [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone recognize this song from these few pieces of lyrics. I remember it as a child being played as like a comedy type record on children's radio shows. The song was basically about someone running and trying to keep up with a car ( I think ) and as the song went on the car was getting...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.